Afan bike park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone Muppet 07 Jan 2013
For those not in the know, about a month ago a new bike park style section was opened at Afan Argoed, attached to the Wall trail. I went yesterday to have a look and it's excellent. About 6 short runs (2 of which still under construction) with loads of jumps/berms and a little jump park at the top. Highly recommended, I'll be back for a few sessions soon!
 balmybaldwin 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Stone Muppet:

Have they got rid of the squeeze gates every 100 yards or so of the proper trails yet? They pretty much ruined the trails there for me there must be a better solution to keep the motorbikes out

Good to see they are still developing it though
OP Stone Muppet 07 Jan 2013
Still squeeze gates, but definitely not every 100 yards. Usually just where they hit the fire roads, with a couple of random exceptions. Really not very hard to negotiate and I'd much rather that than a trail ruined by scramble bikes (of which there are several round here).
 balmybaldwin 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Stone Muppet:

I may have exagerated, but they do seem to crop up when you are getting a good flow going and are very irritating.

It's the only trail centre I've been to with these, Brechfa, Coed Y Brenin, Cwmcarn or Grisdale don't seem to need them, and don't have problems with scramblers as far as I can tell are they a regular appearance elsewhere?

I'm not saying let them in, just that there must be a better solution. I'm guessing it is a localised problem, but then it not an area that I would associate with what I assume are expensive motorbikes to own as toys.
OP Stone Muppet 07 Jan 2013
Then you don't know the Valleys There's a big motocross scene in the area, even if the bikes are expensive.

I don't know how Cwmcarn get away with it exactly but there are a few barriers on the trails there, albeit not so many. Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if they took them away after all. But I do know of one (good, purpose built) unofficial trail near Cardiff that was chewed up in recent years, and I'd advise you not to ever try riding the bridleway that runs along the east side of Ponsticill revervoir.

The other trails you mention aren't in the same area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...