Aeroshell 5, 6, 7 and Mobilegrease 28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 guffers_hump 22 Mar 2021

I happen to have a tube of Mobilegrease 28 and Aeroshell 5 and also access to Aeroshell 6 and 7.

Are any of these useable on Front fork and shock parts. Also is it okay to use them on frame and pivot bearings.

Can I use one of these instead of SRAM Butter?

Surely if they are good for aircraft they can't be bad on my bicycle?

tomsan91 22 Mar 2021
In reply to guffers_hump:

I think the Sram butter is just rebranded Slickoleum, you can find the specs on their website and compare them to the products you have. Anything that doesn't damage the seals is going to be better than the stanchions running dry I guess.

http://slickoleum.com/

crayefish 22 Mar 2021

Should be fine for frame and bearings, assuming its not a carbon frame - they say normal greases can damage the epoxy, I'm not convinced personally as epoxy is pretty resistant to chemicals, but I think why risk a 1000 quid frame for a 15 quid tub of grease.

However, on your fork they'd be a bit thick... better than nothing, but it will make your fork less supple.  The slickoleum/sram stuff is a very thin grease but still tacky.  A small tub of sram is pretty cheap.  Just rebuilt my fork and used lashings of the stuff   In a pinch you'd be better off using multigrade engine oil... its basically what is inside the fork casting anyway, minus all the auto specific additives.

The thing with aero/auto greases in general, is that they tend to be lithium complex with high pressure additives, which is great for high temperature use (or a general wide operating range), but easily washed out by water.  Most auto/aero grease areas are well away from the elements so its not an issue for them.  A good bike grease (e.g. Morgan Blue) will often be calcium complex, or at least a calcium/lithium complex, which has a much better water resistance (with the sacrifice of temperature range, but not an issue for bikes).  Marine grease is similar stuff and will work very well, as well as being cheaper - however, worth checking the viscosity (you'll want EP 2) as often they're a bit thicker for the particular application... commonly EP 2/3 or above.

Edit:

Personally I use Morgan Blue calcium grease for inside ball bearings, and then the muc-off carbon-safe grease for general frame/moving part usage because its apparently bio... so should be better for the environment when it inevitably gets out in the rain.

Post edited at 18:37
OP guffers_hump 22 Mar 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Thanks for the in depth answer. That's what I was personally missing from just reading the specs.

I best be buying some sram grease then.

Worth the ask though as I had some on hand.

crayefish 23 Mar 2021

No problem.  If you want to use up the grease, as you suggested just use it for the pivots, headset, cranks etc and accept you'll need to inspect and regrease slightly more frequently (but its fun to service the bike, right? 🤓).

OP guffers_hump 23 Mar 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Yes I think that is a good idea. I'll stick with the Aeroshell 5 most likely as it has an operating temperature of -23C to +177C.

Yes best part of owning the bike is the service part -_-

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...