Advice on folding electric bikes needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Now that I'm without transport, apart from public (limited), I'm toying with the idea of buying a folding electric bike - folding, because I live in a small cottage and I don't want it to take up too much storage space. Up to about 3 years ago I had a Dahon folding pedal bike, but gave it to someone who urgently needed one. It was good, but quite hard work in the hilly country around where I live. I've been doing a lot of Googling and one that seems to come out well (5 stars) is the BIKFUN 20" Folding Electric Bike. Any advice or recommendations would be very welcome.

JLS 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I don’t have much to add. It’s difficult to assess the quality of the without seeing the thing in the flesh.

I reckon I’d be more comfortable with Decathlon’s similar offering rather than random mail order but both options are at the bottom end of the e bike market so aren’t likely to be super robust. That said, they may be perfectly adequate for your purposes.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/20-inch-electric-folding-bike-btwin-500e/_/R-...

Post edited at 22:13
In reply to JLS:

Thanks for this very useful suggestion. I'd forgotten about Decathlon, but had great success with them in the past when buying a lightweight tent.

I'm comparing the specs now.

LastBoyScout 13 Jan 2023

Brompton have an electric offering: https://www.brompton.com/Bikes/Brompton-Electric/

In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yes, Brompton are very well made (and I remember the non-electric folder is quite heavy) - but about 4 times more expensive!

freeflyer 13 Jan 2023

I've had an E-Go Max (yes that's really its name) for about a year, current sale price just over £1500, so a fair bit more than the BIKFUN at £1000. The specs look similar (that's to say much bigger than a Brompton) however the BIKFUN is 7 kilos heavier at 27 kilos, which by my standards is a bit of a beast, and I have no way to compare robustness and reliability etc. Also check that the seat post extends far enough to suit you, and that it packs down ok to fit where you need. Mine goes neatly in the boot, which is extremely convenient but not relevant for you, and I've taken it on the train a couple of times without incident. The folding sections don't clip together but I could solve that with a bungee cord.

I've had a lot of use out of it, but no really long distance rides (max about 50k); I would say I could get about 75k out of it, depending obviously on the amount of ergs you use. I covered up the awful lime green EGO MAX decals with black tape, which solved that problem It does well at very steep -I've been up short sections of 15% while looking pretty cool, and if I'm knackered after a long day out, it makes easy work of the trip back to the car.

The only major issue is how to leave it somewhere securely. I've obtained a variety of gear suitable for mooring a cruise liner, and more usefully, a knackered-looking garden bag which fits over it neatly. In town I would not leave it on view and instead would try to leave it with a friendly publican in return for a promise of a meal later etc.

Dr.S at work 14 Jan 2023

As an alternative approach:

https://revolutionworks.com

Won’t fit the geometry of some folders, but could be a fairly light option. And certainly if you already have a bike, cheaper.

In reply to Dr.S at work:

Thanks, but I don't have a bike, and definitely need a folder to fit in my house.

I helped my wife choose an electric mountain bike last year. Ordinarily I would have spent weeks researching the optimum bike for her but bikes were in such short supply at the time that instead we just went to Stanley Fearn in Matlock and asked them what they had. What a relief. She’s really happy with the one she chose. Their website is quite bad but their in-person service is excellent. 

Dave B 14 Jan 2023

My dad has the car rear one from halfords. 

He's happy enough, but never folds it, so not sure why he wanted a folder.  I've had a go, and it's alright, but bigger wheels would have been better for actual cycling 

They are all too heavy imho.

What's the budget? 

Id rather ride something like the ribble cgr with electric, but if you want a a step through... And I think that's good if you'd struggle at all to get your leg over (!)... then I'm not sure 

veteye 14 Jan 2023

I don't know if you will be able to follow the link from Which magazine, which suggests not buying the Decathlon.

https://search.which.co.uk/search?asug=&mainresult=mainresult%3Ayes&...

Prices seem to vary a large amount.

Some bikes can go up 25% climbs.

Post edited at 21:15
 Becky E 15 Jan 2023

Bromptons will fold down smaller than any of the others available, which may be a factor in what you choose.

If you're somewhere hilly, make sure the motor is 50 Nm or greater (anything less will struggle on hills), and remember that a bigger battery will allow you to cover more miles.

There are a reviews of a few folding e-bikes here https://road.cc/category/review-section/bikes/electric-bikes

The BIKFUN looks heavy, and also not road-legal as an electrically-assisted pedal cycle: it has a throttle function which appears to max out at 20mph... so you'd need to tax & insure it as a motorbike.

MisterPiggy 15 Jan 2023

Limited storage: some of the Yuba electric bikes stand up on their rear racks? Would that help? And as they take cargo incl people, they'd be more useful than a simpler machine?

JLS 15 Jan 2023
In reply to Becky E:

That’s an important point about the power of the motor. I’m guessing the lower end models Gordon was interested in will be pretty unless on the hilly terrain Gordon mentioned in his OP. I now regret linking the low end Decathlon model…

In reply to Becky E:

> Bromptons will fold down smaller than any of the others available, which may be a factor in what you choose.

> If you're somewhere hilly, make sure the motor is 50 Nm or greater (anything less will struggle on hills), and remember that a bigger battery will allow you to cover more miles.

> There are a reviews of a few folding e-bikes here https://road.cc/category/review-section/bikes/electric-bikes

> The BIKFUN looks heavy, and also not road-legal as an electrically-assisted pedal cycle: it has a throttle function which appears to max out at 20mph... so you'd need to tax & insure it as a motorbike.

Thanks for making this very important point. I've been browsing innumerable alternatives.

S Ramsay 16 Jan 2023

Could you fit a small bike shed in your front garden, something like this?

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/twin-bike-locker

While you technically need planning permission to put anything in your front garden, because these are so low you normally get away with it, I have had one in my front garden for a couple of years now with no complaints. If you can fit one then you can get a non-folding bike which will be lighter and have a better pedalling position and also cheaper. Also its nice not to have to bring bikes inside, all the folding bikes that I've ridden have been both heavy and unwieldy when folded up, and you end up getting dirt everywhere.

Or, if you're feeling really flash then this would probably meet your needs well (warning, makes Bromptons look cheap)

https://hummingbirdbike.com/products/electric

JLS 16 Jan 2023
In reply to S Ramsay:

I looks like the Hummingbird electric is a single speed with a gear suitable for flat terrain (65" in old money). Even with the assist this may feel hard going on steep hills.  The motor torque isn't quoted in the blurb so it is unclear exactly what you are signing up to.  Looks great for around town in the flat Southeast, though as you point out, the price will be hard to justify for most.

In reply to S Ramsay:

No, I don't need a shed. There's plenty of room for it in my front bay window, hidden behind a chair.

In reply to JLS:

After much research, I'm tending towards getting the not so well known Juicy Bike Compact Plus, made in Chesterfield by the Ecobike Company, but obtainable through a dealer in Birmingham. Does anyone here have knowledge/experience of these bikes?

Tricky Dicky 16 Jan 2023

> No, I don't need a shed. There's plenty of room for it in my front bay window, hidden behind a chair.

But if you had a shed or small bike store you could get a full size bike rather than a folder.  A full-size bike might cope better with the hills...........

JLS 16 Jan 2023

Never heard of them, but the pictures show some reassuring signs of respectable build quality. Helpfully, the literature clearly quotes weight at 19kg and motor torque at 55nm which again seem not unreasonable.

In reply to JLS:

I remembered that they came to 'Belper Goes Green' the year before last, a big annual summer event that I missed this year. I went for I ride on a couple of their latest and was impressed by the power and acceleration.

In reply to Tricky Dicky:

> But if you had a shed or small bike store you could get a full size bike rather than a folder.  A full-size bike might cope better with the hills...........

I could only put a shed right a the top of my narrow, sloping back garden. Not at all easily accessible, and can be treacherous going up there in icy weather.

Martin W 16 Jan 2023
In reply to Becky E:

> The BIKFUN looks heavy, and also not road-legal as an electrically-assisted pedal cycle: it has a throttle function which appears to max out at 20mph... so you'd need to tax & insure it as a motorbike.

They mention several times on the Amazon listing that the throttle is supplied but not fitted, and it's up to you to choose whether or not to fit it.  However, nowhere does it say that fitting the throttle turns it from an EAPC into an electric motorcycle - even the seller's answers to the questions below the main listing on that specific point aren't completely clear.

Theoretically it will be road legal as an EAPC if you don't fit the throttle (the listing does say that it meets EN15194, which is the EAPC standard) - but I'd bet that 99% of purchasers do (in the same way that 99% of purchasers of electric scooters ride them illegally on public roads).

lpretro1 17 Jan 2023

A friend bought a folding mtb last year. It wieghs a ton so much so she cannot lift it into her car. She has had to buy a bike rack now to tske it anywhere. It worked ok though. She was happy with it

subtle 17 Jan 2023

> I could only put a shed right a the top of my narrow, sloping back garden. Not at all easily accessible, and can be treacherous going up there in icy weather.

Have you considered moving house, somewhere with a bigger garden to be able to put a shed in to keep your bike?

Or to somewhere with better public transport availability?

Just coming at this question from a different angle, that's all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...