A bike lock that does not weigh more than bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 16 Jul 2019

OK, Ok, a slight exaggeration, my bike is only a B Twin, but just off for a ride and may stop at a Cafe or whatever.I have a D lock and cable from Decathlon and crikey its heavy. And the kicker is any scrote with a cordless angle grinder will have me bike in 5 secs.

Is there a light weight secure lock?

thepodge 16 Jul 2019
In reply to J1234:

the hiplok and litelok ranges always come highly recommended but really if someone has a battery powered grinder and wants your bike, they'll have it. 

In reply to J1234:

A cafe lock is fine if it is outside somewhere that you can see and would stop a quick bike grab. There's variations of the below that will easily fit in a jersey pocket.

https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/Spec...

GrahamD 16 Jul 2019
In reply to J1234:

Decathlon have loads of cafe locks which are ok to stop a casual walkoff but no use against cutters, obviously 

GridNorth 16 Jul 2019
In reply to J1234:

I have one of these: https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/abus-6055-60-bordo-lite/136881067/p?utm_source...

It's both light and compact.

Al

Chris Sansum 16 Jul 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

Hope you are well Al - it is a long time since we met up in the Lake District! 

My girlfriend bought something similar to your lock. I think the one she bought had a gold insurance rating if I remember rightly. If they are genuinely as good as a d lock, it was very appealing as it was a lot neater on the bike - fitted into a little corner of the frame, so very convenient.

GridNorth 16 Jul 2019
In reply to Chris Sansum:

Hi Chris.  Yes it's been a while, I trust you are keeping well.  Don't climb much these days, I seem to have lost my mojo which wasn't helped by breaking my ankle in Kalymnos last Easter.  This resulted in 2 operations and a metal plate so I was out of action for almost 12 months.  I've got a new passion for mountain biking at the moment, can't get enough of it.

Al

J1234 16 Jul 2019
In reply to J1234:

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for something maybe of Spidey Web or Graphene, TBH if its just to  slow people down I have some cheapo ones knocking about the house that will do the job.
Thanks for the suggestions though.

woppo 17 Jul 2019
In reply to J1234:

if there's more than one bike I sometimes padlock pedals together which is not obvious to would be opportunists and a bit more awkward to grind off. if there is 2 or more of us obviously keep a guard while someone buys the cake!

MonkeyPuzzle 17 Jul 2019
In reply to J1234:

Don't forget that if you switch from a D-lock you're just going to have to by a separate cosh. If you want to go ultralight, just leave it in the easiest gear and piss yourself when they just topple sideways as they try to put power down to pedal away.

J1234 17 Jul 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

I am quite new to cycling and currently am building up to the next gear up from easiest

Rog Wilko 18 Jul 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

I'd be interested in this, but the picture doesn't show what it consists of. I thought at first I was looking at an allen key cluster. Does it have a cable?

SuperstarDJ 18 Jul 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I was confused too - found a pic online - it seems to unfold into a hexagon and so presumably fits around wheel, frame and anchor.

LastBoyScout 18 Jul 2019
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Yes - it's a fold-out set of steel bars. My F-I-L had the bigger version for his bike, which comes with a neat holster that fits on a set of bottle cage bolts.

I carry a small steel cable and a padlock - basically yesbutetc's version without the plastic housing.

nniff 18 Jul 2019
In reply to J1234:

It all rather depends whether you want to deter a committed bike thief or an opportunist passer-by.  I just use one of those reinforced HipLock zip ties as a cafe lock to deter the latter.  If there are two of us, then we face the bikes in opposite directions and zip tie the pedals together (as above).   If you're on your own, try to tie it to something solid so that someone can't just tuck it under their arm and walk off.  Pedals are good as they have so much movement it's hard to twist a lock to break it against the thing it's fixed to.

The other thing you can do is undo the front QR so that the whole thing turns into a spectacle if anyone fancies their chances (this is particularly effective on one of my bikes that doesn't have retaining tangs on the front fork) - just remember to do it up again.

Glyno 19 Jul 2019
In reply to J1234:

How about a Kryptonite Kryptoflex Cable (2.2 mtrs) and a decent small padlock?

should be suitable for cafe stops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...