3 year old on her pedals! ????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 02 May 2021

We have a 4 and a half year old godson who learned to ride with pedals a couple of months ago and last weekend we took him for his first proper ride. He did 7.5km no bother. 

Today, his 3 year old sister has managed it! I'm well chuffed! The parents weren't particularly into bikes, although they did like a wee ride. They are now a bike family! Whoop whoop!

beardy mike 02 May 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Not sure why you got dislikes for that! Anyway - good job - my boy was doing trail centres by the time he was 5, although he was riding a d-bike (daddy pedal assist system by Bosh) and now he enjoys pump tracks, I've taken him to Forest of Dean a few times and he can do the blue there unassisted and next we're going to Wales...

OP girlymonkey 02 May 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Some people make a sport of down voting everything! 

Sounds like yours is having a blast! 😃

mountainbagger 02 May 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Some people make a sport of down voting everything! 

It wasn't me, but speaking as someone whose kids have been on Roblox all day and moan constantly about being dragged out for walks or bike rides, I have mixed feelings hearing about other people's kids' more wholesome activities!

wercat 02 May 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

the first child has to discover the world and what kind of creature it is (an alien scientist).

subsequent children have someone to copy!

excellent to get them started early with riding and eventually road sense

Post edited at 17:56
 Boomer Doomer 02 May 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Sorry... downvoting your second post was almost mandatory... cue the downvote! ↓😉

Crazylegs 02 May 2021

That's a lovely gift you've given to those kids.

I can only imagine that your dis-likers are upset that you're aiding two future "road tax" dodgers.

CantClimbTom 02 May 2021
In reply to wercat:

> ... ... subsequent children have someone to copy! ... ...

In my experience anyway.. children only copy the bad behaviour of their siblings

In reply to girlymonkey:

Depending on where you live this might be a lot more common than you realise. You see loads of little ones on the monsal trail and similar (Peak District). In the parks of SW Sheffield every other toddler has a balance bike so they are pretty competent when they are big enough for pedals. Our boy rode his balance bike to nursery every day and at 3yrs when he got a pedal bike we were soon doing up to 16km at a time. This isn't meant as a bragging post but a 'she might be capable of more than you think' post. We've never used any kind of towing device so he got stronger pretty quick. I think it depends more on size than age too. My daughter is now 3 and she's still physically too small to handle a pedal bike (we've tried). We've not tried a trail centre yet with the older one as he still needs it to be as flat as possible but I guess that's the next stage for us.

OP girlymonkey 03 May 2021
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

Yeah, I'm keen to see what she is capable of. She wanted her pedals before her brother but was too wee. Only just big enough now. Both kids pestered their mum to get a bike, which she is picking up this week, having not had one for around 10 years, so enthusiasm is high.

I don't think 3 is particularly unusual here, but also not very common. You do see the wee ones flying about sometimes, but it is still quite young for here I would say. 

Mostly, I'm just delighted that we have new wee keen beans on bikes and there's no stopping them! 😃 From when they were tiny, sourcing bikes and working out how and when to move them on has been my thing, the parents were keen for them to learn young but had no idea how. Their mum has a long term health condition which has her on medication which stops her driving. So being able to go places by bike is huge for them!

wercat 03 May 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I'm from a family of 5 and there seemed to be a diminishing age for standing and learning to walk and other stuff like talking down the age range.

Valid point though

Post edited at 13:12
 freeflyer 03 May 2021
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

> every other toddler has a balance bike

A 9-10 year old round my way has a unicycle, and he's pretty good on it. I am impressed, and not a little jealous, trying to avoid being tempted into having something to confess in the rites of passage thread ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...