20 litre cycle rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 n-stacey 01 Jul 2020

Hi

Please could you suggest 20 litre cycle sack and why you like it. 

cheers

Nigel

In reply to n-stacey:

Alpkit Gourdon, because it is cheap and waterproof.

Not really a cycling sack but also find my decathlon running vest pretty handy for cycling; the front pouches are easier to get when going along (also cheap, though not waterproof).

TobyA 01 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:

I've now got two different Osprey packs, a Syncro 20 from last year and momentum 30 from 2015. They were both bought for commuting to work where I carry my lunch, a laptop and some clean clothes, normally only undies as I take shirts and trousers in on the days I drive. I only bought the smaller one because although the Momentum is excellent I often don't need all the space particularly in summer and the syncro has one of the trampoline backs so should be, at least in theory, slightly less sweaty. 

I've found Osprey stuff to be very well made and last very well despite huge amounts of use, and although sometime people don't like them for having too many features, on the cycling packs those features all seem to work really well. Both of those packs have places to put lights, waterproof covers that actually work, ways to attach your helmet when going into a shop etc. If you can find an Osprey with the features that you want and the right size, I'd say go for it.

+1 Alpkit Gourdon.

Cheap enough that you don't worry about trashing it. Durable enough that you kind of don't.
Waterproof so, importantly, sweatproof. Easy access.

nniff 01 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:

In the finest traditions of UKC - I think rucksacks are vile, sweaty things on a bike and do not like them at all.  Pannier for preference - support the weight on something metallic rather than a soggy, carbon-based organic thing. 

If the bike hasn't got a rack, then a messenger bag - far less sweaty.  Good for daily commute stuff - I use one of these https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Castelli/Deluxe-Musette-Bag/P8W8?utm_sourc...

If you must use a rucksack then something with a 'stand-off' back.  Always assume they will leak - pack everything in a rubble sack.   Messenger bag not much use if not on the road though

hbeevers 01 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:

I commute with work stuff, food and work clothes. I use a decathlon Quechua mh500 because it has a mesh back so isn't sweaty. Use a liner so it's waterproof. Any rucksack on a bike will ache a bit so I use a big podsac saddle bag to spread the weight.

Alternatively use panniers.

climber34neil 01 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:

Osprey talon 22, it's orange and you know you want it!

Schmiken 01 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:

I found a rucksack for any decent length commute ended up giving me back pain. I'd very much recommend getting an Ortlieb pannier bag/briefcase. 100% waterproof and I've used it as my day bag for 3 years solid.

Mick Bradshaw 02 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:

Messenger bags are OK for laptop and flat items but stuffing clothes and shoes into my North Face one then meant the flap let water in at the ends. Latest option is an Overboard rucksack/ drybag - mine's a 20l but my wife has a bigger one (30l?) - it's simple and works - comfortable, just big enough, totally waterproof (roll down top) and brightly coloured. When this one dies I won't bother window shopping - will just order another one!

Swirly 02 Jul 2020
In reply to featuresforfeet:

> Alpkit Gourdon,

I'm looking at getting a new pack for mountain biking, my current one isn't big enough for long days. Based on there being a couple of mentions of this bag on here I took a look, would it be possible to fit a 3 litre hydration pack in it? it mentions a pocket for 1 - 1.5 litre packs but I drink a lot!

Is the pocket they talk about on the inside or the outside? i.e. could I just stuff my bladder inside the main bag and route the tube out or is there no hole? I don't see how they can describe it as submersible if there is a hole for a tube.

FinrodFelagund 02 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:

Oxford Aqua V20

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/accessories/bags/backpacks/oxford-aqua-v2...

I like it because:

• It's affordable - you can get it for <£40
  • Waterproof
  • Covered in high-vis. I commute through the winter, all weathers, on both urban and country roads. So I like to be visible. 

But I don't put too much weight in it. I would back up what others are saying regarding panniers/bikebags being better for carrying heavy items. 

LastBoyScout 02 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:

My commute rucksack is a Berghaus Remote 25. I like it because it's easy to get a laptop in and out, has lots of pockets inside for various odds and ends, it's comfy, has compression straps to tighten down the excess and stop everything bouncing around and it's a nice colour. There's also some bungee cord on the outside for stashing a helmet, but I've never used it. It also doesn't interfere with the back of my cycle helmet.

Downside is it's not waterproof, but that's not too much of an issue, as I use a Hi-Viz cover over it, which keeps most of the rain out and if it's likely to be wet, everything goes inside a plastic bag anyway.

In reply to Swirly:

The bit for the bladder is a pocket between the back and the dry bag bit with a velcro top (so pipe would just pass through the velcro). As you say, the pocket is about a litre so if you need more then it'd have to go in the main bag and out through the roll top (which would mean it isn't submersible (though would still be pretty waterproof).

Herdwickmatt 02 Jul 2020
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Second for the Alpkit Goirdon, mine is fluoro yellow and still going 8years later with thousands and thousands of miles done with it!

alisonk 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Swirly:

I'm a recent convert to https://uk.uswe-sports.com/bike/backpacks/mtb as I wanted to move away from Osprey packs as I don't like the little waist belt digging in.  I've got 2 of these, the larger https://uk.uswe-sports.com/airborne-9l-race-edition with the 3l I found surprisingly comfortable when full. 

Post edited at 10:43
OP n-stacey 02 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:

Hi all

many thanks for your advice and input.

cheers

Nigel

angry pirate 03 Jul 2020
In reply to FinrodFelagund:

Another recommendation for this bag.

I've used mine for about a year now and it keeps out really nasty weather.

I did upgrade the fastex clips on the roll too closure for the metal hook types as they are a bit stronger (and I trod on one of the fastex clips and broke it)

wbo2 03 Jul 2020
In reply to n-stacey:  I use an Osprey Stratos and it's easy to wear BUT although the volume is OK it's a bit thin so if you want some shoes in there it becomes hard to use the space well.  

Messenger bag - practical? - really? 

jk25002 03 Jul 2020
In reply to Swirly:

For commuting by bike, I give Alpkit Gourdon another +1.

I find them good if you're filling them full, but if they just have a few things in they sort of slump. They may have modified the design since, but the two I've got have no internal pockets, and compared to other rucksacks they tend to feel a bit bouncy or wobbly if MTBing or running with them.

There's no hole for a drinking tube on mine.

TobyA 03 Jul 2020
In reply to jk25002:

I've had a Gourdon for well over a decade. It's a simple design that costs very little and does the job of keeping things dry very well, but it's not my first choice for cycle commuting with. I think I've used it for over night bikepacks in the past when I had less on the bike options, but for loading up and getting out the house quickly in the morning, I find it not nearly as good as the Osprey bags in terms of useful features and so on. 

I guess what you need to carry makes a big difference! A pump, tube, tools, waterproof and hydration bladder will work fine with many small light bags, but add a laptop, lunch box, a file with papers in them for work or uni, pens, work ID and keys, at least clean undies but for some people work trousers, shirt, even shoes and a towel etc. then a very different type of bag is going to be worth it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...