2021 Road bike tyres?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Basemetal 18 Feb 2021

Acc to the search function there hasn't been a road bike tyre thread for a while and the manufacturer's ranges keep changing...

...so what would be the current tyre of choice for simply enjoying performance on daily loops of typically 20 - 40 miles? By that I mean not worrying about longevity, or puncture resistence so much, but getting what you can out of your bike for the fun of riding.

I've been riding Michelin Lithion 3 (700x25c (no 28c available, but it measures around 27mm anyway)) with latex tubes and I've had no problems with them at all over 1600 miles.

https://road.cc/content/review/michelin-lithion-3-tyre-273417

They  aren't even showing much wear. They're a budget tyre said to "punch well above their weight". But that's the rub - I'm wondering what might give me a noticeable step up in feel or performance.

The bike is a VanRysel EDR 105 and tips the scales just under 9kg wet and the wheels (Fulcrum 6) need tubed clinchers.

Any recommendations?

Jim Lancs 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

Michelin Power Road might be an upgrade for a reasonable price, but I would wear those out first. Not much wrong with them.

Post edited at 12:23
OP Basemetal 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Cheers Jim, I do like the Lithion 3s, I'm just thinking ahead to  keep an eye on sales and deals for their replacements when the time comes - unless there'san irresistible option.

Dave B 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

For Summer I use GP5000. The grip is great. feel good over rougher terrain etc.

For winter Grand Prix GT. relatively good puncture belt and grippy compound.

LastBoyScout 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

Try running them with latex tubes? Supposed to give a much better feel.

OP Basemetal 18 Feb 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I do, it does. Can't recommend them enough. Need a couple of pumps before each ride but more than worth it.  

OP Basemetal 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave B:

> For Summer I use GP5000. The grip is great. feel good over rougher terrain etc.

> For winter Grand Prix GT. relatively good puncture belt and grippy compound.

I thought the GP5000 were good for winter too? Which size do you like? 

Timy2 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

I used Gatorskins last year, first year Ive never had a puncture.  I do typically 20 mile ride.

OP Basemetal 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Timy2:

I don't know why, but I've only had one puncture since 1999 ... And that was an impact pinch on my Mountain bike .

I did once, 1982 IIRC, have 19 punctures in a day riding the Bridge of Orchy to White Lady section of the West Highland Way. It was raining so hard in the end I couldn't use my last few patches so walked back along the A82 from Lagangarbh to the BoO station. 

Dave B 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

28s in winter, 25s in summer.

The Grand Prix GT are on a different bike with mudguards. Might use 28s in summer too... will experiment when rich....

nniff 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

Michelin Pro4 service course for me. Still available from Decathlon and others and really good for not a lot of money - typically £25 each

LastBoyScout 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

Sorry - missed that in the OP.

Dave B 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave B:

As to why I don't use GP5000s all year - - a bit more fragile and a bit less hard wearing. IMHO. hence a bit more expensive per km.

kevin stephens 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave B:

> As to why I don't use GP5000s all year - - a bit more fragile and a bit less hard wearing. IMHO. hence a bit more expensive per km.

I keep my GP5000s on my bike all winter, they never puncture or wear, or even get wet when it comes to it

RBK 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

Another vote for GP5000 but I prefer GP 4 Season in winter, good grip in the wet and they feel very close to a summer tyre despite being incredibly puncture resistant. 

JLS 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

Veloflex do good performance tires...

https://www.veloflex.it/en/clincher-tires

Post edited at 19:11
 Tony Jones 19 Feb 2021
In reply to RBK:

GP4000s in summer (I have a pair of GP5000s standing by as their replacements when they've worn a bit more) and GP 4 Seasons in winter. I've only had one puncture this winter and I ride in the blackthorn-flaying capital of the world.

OP Basemetal 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Tony Jones et Al

I'm starting to see a pattern in the replies...

LastBoyScout 19 Feb 2021
In reply to RBK:

> I prefer GP 4 Season in winter, good grip in the wet and they feel very close to a summer tyre despite being incredibly puncture resistant. 

I disagree - I've had punctures in my GP 4-Seasons on normal roads, which is on a par with other tyres I've used.

When it happens, they are a nightmare to fix, as are notoriously tight on some rims.

webbo 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

I have used gp4000s on my summer bikes for years. I got a puncture which slashed the side wall. As I didn’t have time to wait for an online order I got what was available from the local bike shop which was a Vittoria Rubino Pro control. I can’t tell any difference from gp4000. I bet it’s the same with most tyres in a price range.

However Gatorskins are the work of the devil.

OP Basemetal 19 Feb 2021
In reply to webbo:

> II can’t tell any difference from gp4000. I bet it’s the same with most tyres in a price range.

Thanks Webbo. I suspect there's huge overlaps in most aspects of performance and fewer real differences than marketing blurb (and influencer's  reviews) suggest. I'd pay attention to folk who've tried a lot of tyres on the same bike, but they're probably rare. Second to that would be accounts of dramatic differences on a particular upgrade. (I 've been impressed by latex inner tubes, as I mentioned above)

The object of the thread for me is to tap into that experience and  see what there is out there that IS worth paying for because it feels better.

nufkin 19 Feb 2021
In reply to webbo:

>  Gatorskins are the work of the devil.

I don't think I've had a puncture at all since swapping to them a few years ago

webbo 19 Feb 2021
In reply to nufkin:

Maybe so but it’s like having a tractor tyre which behaves like it has no grip. Get out of the saddle on a wet road and you will be wondering where the ice came from.

Jim Lancs 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

> (I 've been impressed by latex inner tubes, as I mentioned above)

Just shows how subjective all this can be - I couldn't tell any difference after putting in latex inner tubes, except I was constantly having to top up the pressures before every ride. Pain in the arse things that have hung on a hook in the garage since being thrown off the bike 20 years ago.

But I have had no complaints of Schwalbe Duranos as fast winter tyres. Huge improvement over Gatorskin / 4- Seasons

OP Basemetal 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Maybe it's combinations that work - some tubes, tyres, sizes and pressures working better together? Add in the feel of your frame and I can see how some folk can swear by, and some swear at, the same tyre. And then there's quality control...

Jim Lancs 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

> . . .  and pressures working better together ?  . . . 

I think you're right - especially tyre pressure. A few psi can make a huge difference the the feel of a bike.

OP Basemetal 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> I think you're right - especially tyre pressure. A few psi can make a huge difference the the feel of a bike.

It was using the latex tubes that got me there. Having to top them up every day overcame the inertia of checking pressures... so I decided to try out different pressures from 120 through to to 65 (a doddle with the guage on the track pump). I found the bike flies at 75 F, 85 R which was lower than I'd expected or ever used before. Harder and it gets a bit stuttery on rougher surfaces and softer it feels spongy and draggy when climbing, but a few psi either side of ideal and the bike feels really alive.

nufkin 20 Feb 2021
In reply to webbo:

>  Get out of the saddle on a wet road and you will be wondering where the ice came from.

I suspect I'm too fat for that to become a problem

OP Basemetal 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

>I don't know why, but I've only had one puncture since 1999 ... And that was an impact pinch on my Mountain bike .

Ha! After writing that a few days ago I clipped a pothole in a dark shadow on a descent today and punctured my rear.

In reply to Jim Lancs:

>  I couldn't tell any difference after putting in latex inner tubes,

To fix it I had a new butyl inner with me, but what a difference it made. I stopped after a mile to check the tyre wasn't going soft -it wasn't. I had it a bit harder than with the latex to try to compendsate,  probably around 90-100psi,  but it felt so wooden after the latex. The Suie was a lot harder than last time! The other downside of latex inners, after price and permeability, is you can't patch them...  but I'm off to the pink tube shop to get "my bike" back.

Yanis Nayu 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

I’ve read that you can patch them with pieces from another latex tube and some puncture repair glue. 

OP Basemetal 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I’ve read that you can patch them with pieces from another latex tube and some puncture repair glue. 

Cheers! This is my first dead one, so I'll hang on to it for patches now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...