Loch Arkaig Road Latest
by Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com Feb/2013
This news story has been read 614 times
Popular News stories:
Related UKH News stories:
The road along the north side of Loch Arkaig, a popular access route into Knoydart and the Rough Bounds, will be closed on and off for repairs for much of the spring. There have been changes to the timetable since we last reported.
UKC Gear, Jun 2011
© Dan Bailey
The work to the road and bridges, reported here on UKH is now expected to stretch from February into May (not April, as previously thought). The precise timetable of events seems to be taking shape slowly. Here's the latest from the civil engineering firm in charge:
- The contract period is now going to be 13 weeks from 11 February
- Works to road repairs will commence in the week beginning 11 February. Access will be maintained for all during the road works-only items but may result in short delays, locally, where the contractor is working (of around anything up to 20 minutes, as estimated by the Contractor)
- Bridgeworks are intended to start in the week beginning 4 March and are anticipated to take around 10 weeks.
- The contractor is trying to put together possible temporary bridge solutions for 4x4/pick-up/Hi-Lux to cross the watercourses (at the drivers' own risk) whilst the bridges will be out. We should know more details soon.
- If the temporary crossings arrangement is workable then a mini bus/taxi service may not be required as previously reported [but how many hillwalkers drive 4x4s? Ed]. We should know the implications of this soon. It still may be better, if you know when you may want to travel along these roads, to contact the Contractor directly. Their office number (since mobile reception is very limited along Loch Arkaig) is 01397 702 834
- The cost estimate to provide a localised diversion on the B8005 has proved to be very high so we are looking at other options for replacing the bridge there (one being the reconstruction of this bridge outwith the fish spawning season i.e. after May.)
- An application for the extension to the Road Closure will be made to allow for the Construction period to end on around the 10 May, but this will be confirmed soon.
A few unknowns there still, then: we'll keep you abreast of any further updates from the engineers.