The Montane Lakeland 50by terrygilp Oct/2011
This route has been read 21,950 times
The Montane Lakeland 50 is one the greatest ultra running and walking challenges in Europe. It is run over the second half of the Lakeland 100 UTLD, completing the final 50 miles of the 100 course. As it's only half of the Lakeland 100 course it's the easy option.. right? That's the first and worst error you could possibly make.
The route starts from the Northern end of Ullswater within the grand Dalemain Estate before following the Eastern shoreline as far as Howtown. A quick climb and descent followed by a trek along the banks of Haweswater sees you at Mardale Head. The route from here visits Long Sleddale, Kentmere, Ambleside, Langdale and Tilberthwaite before the final climb and descent to the finish at Coniston. It is a truly amazing route and you will visit places that you never knew existed, places which are ignored by the masses..
Distance: 50 miles (80.47 km)
Total ascent: 3,100m
Steepest Gradient: 50% (1 in 2)
Time: 7 – 24 hours (Trail running);
24 hours (Walking)
Start Dalemain House, NY477269; Finish John Ruskin School, Coniston, SD302974
Varied but often rough terrain with approximately 3100m of ascent to deal with.There are 6 manned checkpoints on the course which are compulsory to visit, food and drink is available at each.
Our support team will greet you and feed you before sending you in the direction of Coniston.
All competitors register, park, camp (if required) at Coniston and are taken by coach to the start at Dalemain
We have copies of the Harvey 1:40,000 course maps available for purchase following the 2011 event. The map is a full 1:40,000 Harvey map of the Lake District with the route pre-marked on waterproof paper. Whilst stocks last, we will also send a waterproof copy of the appropriate road book, which is a written description of the route, step by step
12noon Saturday 28th July 2012
£70 per competitor to include:
1. 2 nights camping and parking (one car and one tent per competitor). Camping is available Friday and Saturday (if required). If you wish to arrive earlier than Friday there are local campsites in the Coniston area but camping is not available at the school. There are toilets and showers available at race HQ from Friday through to Sunday afternoon.
2. Waterproof road book (written description of the route).
3. Harvey 1:40,000 waterproof map of the Lake District with the route and checkpoints pre-marked.
4. Food and drink at each checkpoint on the route (specifics will be provided closer to the event).
5. Quality Montane event technical T-Shirt.
6. Finishers medal (that's the one thing you don't get 'in advance').
7. Finishers meal at race HQ.
8. For 50 mile competitors, coach transportation to start at Dalemain.
9. Medical support from race doctors and physio team.
10. Live event monitoring for you and your family / friends throughout the event.
11. The opportunity to attend the pre-event recce days (for competitors only).
OS Explorer OL7 (1:25,000), OS Explorer OL6 (1:25,000), OS Explorer OL5 (1:25,000), OS Explorer OL4 (1:25,000), Harvey/BMC Lake District (1:40,000), OS Landranger 90 (1:50,000), OS Landranger 97 (1:50,000), OS Landranger 96 (1:50,000), OS Landranger 89 (1:50,000)
1 NY4776327110 START Dalemain House
2 NY4434619628 CP1(9) Howtown Bobbin Mill
3 NY4681510662 CP2(10) Tent in Car Park at Mardale Head
4 NY4557204200 CP3(11) Kentmere Institute
5 NY3767104379 CP4(12)LakesRunner, Ambleside
6 NY3184705353 CP5(13) Marquee to R of track, Chapel Stile
7 NY3063601242 CP6(14) Tent in Car Park at Tilberthwaite
8 SD3028597386 FINISH John Ruskin School, Coniston
Further Routes by terrygilp
Forums ( Read more | 12 comments, 22 Oct 2011 )
This route has been read 21,950 times