Cotton vs synthetic cragging pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 06 Dec 2016
Well I've used a pretty wide variety of pants/trousers while at the crag and have been disappointed by most of them. My montane terra pants and a pair or marmot's being the exception.
I recently got a couple of pairs of wild country balance pants on the cheap, the arse has worn through on both in the space of a season and areas on the legs have worn through from rope friction while on belay, the same can be said for a pair of Khul's I had last year.
Are all cotton climbing pants prone to these issues and if so why are there not more synthetic/poly cotton blended pants on offer?
 the power 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

Pants hahahaha
OP Tigger 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

I've always gone with trousers as pant feels like an Americanism and to me means underwear however manufacturers seem to go with pants?
 benp1 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

Cotton 'pants' aren't great for wear, which is why a lot of outdoorsy trousers are blended with polyester

With the obvious benefit of also drying quicker

Why not buy some normal outdoorsy trousers? (Seeing as you like the Terras and the Marmots)
OP Tigger 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

Is boring colours a good enough reason? Moon Cyper's might be worth a shot?
 whenry 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

My limited experience with Moon trousers hasn't been great - sat down and the arse split having worn them for four days max. On the other hand, I've got a pair of Arcteryx trousers that I've had for five years, and are showing virtually no signs of wear, and my E9s are holding up pretty well too. You get what you pay for?
In reply to whenry:

> My limited experience with Moon trousers hasn't been great - sat down and the arse split having worn them for four days max.

Well, they are called 'Moon trousers'; does what it says on the tin...

IGMT
OP Tigger 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

I looked at Arcteryx but I couldn't bring myself to drag that amount of money over gritstone, I'll look into E9 though, thanks
 Si dH 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:
I've had two pairs of moon cyphers (2015 model), a pair of wc balance and a pair of moon something else (the heavier weight ones, 2014 I think.)
Interestingly the cyphers have lasted the best although I've torn the stitching on the rear pocket of the ones I've had the longest. They are also the ones I find most comfortable.
I do like the balance pants too, but I too have had longevity issues. I put some small tears in them kneebarring without a pad (understandable) but the material design/weave seems to be such that these tears then extend very easily.

I tore a huge hole in the bum of the heavier moon ones and they are quite a bit heavier anyway. Better in a strong wind mind.

I'd just buy more Cyphers if it was me. To clarify, I've only had two pairs because I want multiple colours, not because the first pair are unwearable.
Post edited at 19:04
 Mark Stevenson 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:
I think that I've trashed pretty much every pair of trousers that I've used regularly for UK trad cragging and multipitching. The most common fault has generally been the stitching on any rear pockets failing and then finally the fabric itself going.
I've currently got loads of TNF Apex Softshells (fantastic but definitely for mountain routes or cooler weather being black and fairly warm/windproof), a few pairs of TNF Paramount Peak (ripstop nylon, zip off legs, decent for general use but stitching goes) and two pairs of Moon Cypher (brilliant for the climbing wall and sunny weather, but not ideal for everything. Now ripped at the knee but that's understandable given I was stupid enough to let myself be sandbagged into trying Goliath at Burbage South.)
Basically I don't think there is any ideal option. Lightweight cotton wins out in many situations so I'd happily get another similar pair once my Cyphers wear out.
 JRJones 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

I find sewing kits to be quite affordable.
 Cake 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. £5 polyester tracksuit trousers from decathlon or any sport store. If it's below 5 degrees some thermals underneath. Replace as necessary. If concerned about the working conditions of the manufacturers, give some money to charity too (a message to myself really). It'll still end up cheaper
 Andy Hardy 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

When you say cragging, are we talking single pitch routes 10 minutes from the car? If so supermarket jeans 1 size bigger than normal will do just fine. If you mean scafell east or cloggy it might be worth spending more on faster drying, lighter trousers.
 Kafoozalem 13 Dec 2016
In reply to whenry:

Arcteryx "you get what you pay for"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....
ha!
Thanks - I needed a laugh!
 GrahamD 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Kafoozalem:

> Arcteryx "you get what you pay for"

You pay for a very expensive dinosaur label. What is so funny about that ?
 teltrabm 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Cake:

or get your tracksuit bottoms from charity shops
 spenser 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

The enormous hole I wore in the back of my E9s provoked a great deal of hilarity amongst my mates, still need to get round to repairing them. I've got a couple of pairs of black diamond trousers which seem to be pretty good.
 yodadave 14 Dec 2016
In reply to benp1:
cotton pants aren't great for wear?!?

youre havin' a laugh arent you? Denim? Cotton canvas?

By my definition of cragging, if its wet im not going. Therefore i crag in cotton a lot. I save covering myself in expensive oil based products for something more committing than cragging (long walk in, multi pitching, winter, expeds etc). I mainly use jeans, stretchy or not, and cotton canvas carpentry traousers like carrharts. Double fronted knees can be a real plus on some grovels.

If I reckon something quick drying is needed I have Prana stretch zions that are great but have wear holes from rope rub OR patagucci trousers from a decade ago designed like aforementioned double fronted carpenter trousers. I do have some Rab softshells, but find the cut restrictive and they are pilling like nobodies business also the pockets don't work great with my harnesss, they are fine for winter walking.

The British ethic of montanes at all times for climbing amuses me especially in the gym or on blazing hot summer days. Cotton has its place in climbing in my opinion. Look at almost any Sonnie Trotter footage for a glimpse of my understanding.
Post edited at 14:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...