PRODUCT NEWS: Alpkit Definition Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 06 Dec 2016
Women's Definition Jacket, 3 kbMen's technical mountaineering jacket designed to perform in the harshest conditions. Durable, breathable, full unadulterated storm protection.

Read more
 TobyA 06 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

These look great - if they turn out to work as well as they look they might, for 200 quid I think Alpkit will be on to a real winner. Is there one out on UKC test? Hope so - I reckon this could be one of those products that could really shake up the market in a good way.
In reply to TobyA:

Hey Toby, yes we've got one out on test. It looks really good, and our tester's certainly taken with it
 TobyA 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

If they are good, you could see these becoming almost like uniform for student winter climbers up and down the country - a proper full on winter shell for climbers at half the cost of much of the competition.
 BnB 07 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Difficult to compare the tech spec with the industry standard. How does 20D nylon shell with a 20D tricot liner and presumably some D (?) for the membrane compare to the 80D of a 2nd gen Tupilak?

Is Alpkit doing its own thing in their charming shed-built way, or are they disguising the fact that their "burly" shell is in fact paper thin? The 40D fabric on the first-gen Tupilak ripped at the sight of a deadman.
 JayPee630 07 Dec 2016
In reply to BnB:
I was a bit surprised at the price tbh. You can easily pick up a Mountain Equipment (amongst others) Gore shell suitable for similar use for around the same price, and a ME Drilite one for a bit cheaper.

Think at that price it's actually not that competitive if you look about.
Post edited at 07:40
Aonach 07 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:
20D face fabric?
No thanks.
Their products are not particularly good or particularly good value ... all seems a bit Kool Aid to me.
There are lots of well featured, tough climbing shells at the £200 mark.
 BnB 07 Dec 2016
In reply to JayPee630:
Agreed. And the Napoleon pocket looks sized for a compass not a pair of Punishers!!

I picked up a Rab shell from Go Outdoors for £99 for this winter. If my Tupilak wasn't bombproof I thought I'd rather shred one* in which I didn't have a great investment, emotional or financial.

*Damp days only. Stretchy softshell most of the time.
Post edited at 08:12
 Lemony 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Aonach:

The 20D face fabric appears to be a mistake, the specs on the site seem much more realistic:

145 gsm 3 layer fabric
Face: 40 D x 90 D Nylon
Backer: 20 D Nylon tricot
Bi-component PU/PTFE membrane
20d nylon tricot
Hydrostatic head: 30,000 mm
MVTR: 20,000 g/sqm/24hrs
100% windproof
PFOA Free C6 DWR
YKK Aquaguard zips
Weight (g): S: 485, M: 490, L: 530, XL: 550 , XXL: 580
 BnB 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Lemony:

In my experience, the 40D segments will tear if you say "let's gear up here"
 TobyA 07 Dec 2016
In reply to BnB:

Maybe I'm much more graceful a climber than I've ever thought because I can't remember the last time I've ripped anything very seriously...

Well, lets see how these go in the reviews or the first people buying them. I was just looking on Go Outdoors, there are too many comparable jackets at that price, so I still reckon these will be a good value if they work well for Scottish winter and the like.
 Hay 07 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA:
A BMC or MS discount would get you Firewall for a fair amount less or a Narwhal for about the same.
From an actual shop where you can try things on and everything.
 TobyA 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Hay:

Yep, fair enough. Is the Rab pertex material any good? Never tried anything in Pertex Shield - I still think of Pertex as like all 90s pertex was! But I guess this a much heavier sort of fabric and with a membrane obs.
 TobyA 07 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA:

that should have been "not too many comparable jackets at that price"... sorry, won't let me edit it now.
 Hay 07 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA:
I've got a Shield + O.R. jacket and it's a right good thing. Used it in Scotland and Cogne, seems to breathe well, holds its DWR.
I'm sure the Alpkit number is a decent thing but if it was my money I'd buy the Narwhal. Drilite is tried and tested and the feature-set looks stronger.
Bruce
 JayPee630 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Hay:

Bloody hard to find a ME Narwhal, I've been looking. What is it with the sparse stock that most shops hold nowadays?
 TobyA 07 Dec 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

I just googled them to see what they look like and it seems Blacks has them in stock, 25 quid off full price too.
 lucozade 10 Dec 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Got this email from Needle Sports today and thought of this thread (wonder if they read UKC!) - http://www.needlesports.com/51654/products/mountain-equipment-mens-narwhal-...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...