Reccomend some heavyweight ski trousers/ salopettes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 05 Dec 2016
This balances between gear and skiing so I'll drop it under skiing.

I'm looking to replace my shredded ski/ winter work salopettes for this coming season, I believe the cool kids call them bibs nowadays.

For the last 6 years I've been using Klattermusen Freke bibs, which have been absolutely bombproof (they are a good 60% kevlar) and whilst I would consider another pair I'm not ready to fork out £750 for something that isn't *that* amazing. My first pair were 60% off as the uni was sponsored, so I feel I have had my monies worth there. Price isn't much of an issue if I know they will last.

My demands are simple:

34-35" inside leg.
Heavyweight, super durable.
Highly articulated, to suit my ninja après-ski dance moves.

The closest thing I've come to is the Norrøna Lofoten pant/bib crossover. They have a long enough leg (34 in size medium) however my experience with Norrøna has never been good and bits fall off/ stitching comes undone too easily. The material is impressive, but the patterning really is a bit wank for a 600 quid pair of pants.

Alternatives are an oversize Arc'teryx theta SV bib (so I can fit ski boots at the cuffs and they are just long enough). All of Arcteryx's ski specific pants use hopelessly lightweight materials, that I am not interested in at all and are only 31-32" leg. All other brands I have perused have come up too short as well.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? What are you using?

Or can anyone sway me on the Norrøna trousers... I'm leaning that way anyway as I see no other good options.
OP GarethSL 06 Dec 2016
Morning tea break bump.
HighlandStu 06 Dec 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Have a look at Sweet Protection Monkeywrench bibs
OP GarethSL 06 Dec 2016
In reply to HighlandStu:

Nice! They look ideal but still come in at a 31" leg
 Neil Pratt 12 Jan 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

If you haven't already made a decision, I can heartily recommend the Theta SV's - I've got a couple of pairs, one of which are the bottom half of my MR shell, and they've held up well to all the bumping and scraping they get in that context. The other set are my personal walking kit (bought on the basis of the durability of the other set), and still look pretty much 'as new' after a season and a bit's use.

wbo 12 Jan 2017
In reply to GarethSL: I've got some Bergans Hodlekve that are pretty bullet proof. They're trousers rather than bibs and a rather garish orange. I don't know if they're selling them anymore , but they turn up on Finn often enough as nothing short of a chainsaw will destroy them

Doug 12 Jan 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

I've had a pair of Arc'teryx theta SV bibs for several years & they seem pretty good, although often in spring time I prefer a pair of trousers in a schoeller style fabric which are much more breathable but not as windproof as gore tex & not really waterproof. They were expensive, even reduced in a sale, but in retrospect worth the money.
 HeMa 12 Jan 2017
In reply to GarethSL:
> The closest thing I've come to is the Norrøna Lofoten pant/bib crossover. They have a long enough leg (34 in size medium) however my experience with Norrøna has never been good and bits fall off/ stitching comes undone too easily. The material is impressive, but the patterning really is a bit wank for a 600 quid pair of pants.

Yes, I've hear people have had some quality issues with their Norrona Lofoten bibs. AFAIK it has been mostly the pockets rippin' (from the inside), so one of my friends had his beacon rattle by his boot in the gaiter as the stitching came undone on his back pocket (perfect size for beacons BTW). And others have had issues with the gaiters. Not real deal breakers, if you're prepared for it...

That said, I've rocked mine for some odd 5 or so years and they seems fine. So perhaps come in terms that some stitching may come undone in some point in the future... which is why get them from a sale, for sub 250 Eur (which is what I did).

Sweet Supernaut might also fit the bill (in XL).
Post edited at 11:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...