New Ramsay's Round winter record?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike-W-99 04 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Its on the "official" website too.
We were on the Easians today, thought I saw running shoe marks. Brilliant effort given the dusting of snow and verglassed rocks.
In reply to DaveHK:

Wow, big effort. Not meaning to denigrate the performance in any way - but in Scotland, what counts as "winter"?

Calendar or conditions?

As I say, not meaning to detract as there's not much conditions info. Might be best for a different thread as I'm just musing really.

Again, solid effort. Well impressed!
OP DaveHK 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:
> Wow, big effort. Not meaning to denigrate the performance in any way - but in Scotland, what counts as "winter"?

I'm a bit unsure about that too. It's certainly very different from the conditions of the previous record where I believe crampons were worn for a lot of it. The RR website gives dates of Dec 1 to end of Feb and talks about 'winter conditions' but I think we both know how slippery a concept that is! Like you say, good effort whatever.

Edit- pretty sure for the Bob Graham it's just on dates so I imagine the RR would be similar in most people's eyes. Maybe Charlie needs to rule on it?
Post edited at 22:25
 bouldery bits 04 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

What a headline.

That photo says it all too.

Top effort.
 Mike-W-99 04 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> I'm a bit unsure about that too. It's certainly very different from the conditions of the previous record where I believe crampons were worn for a lot of it. The RR website gives dates of Dec 1 to end of Feb and talks about 'winter conditions' but I think we both know how slippery a concept that is! Like you say, good effort whatever.
I'm assuming he ran in the few cm of fresh that came down on friday. PITA to walk on the past few days plus any of the old snow is bullet proof.
 petestack 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

> Wow, big effort. Not meaning to denigrate the performance in any way - but in Scotland, what counts as "winter"?

> Calendar or conditions?

According to Charlie Ramsay, December, January and February, and that's it despite the feelings of many that you need calendar *and* conditions.

> As I say, not meaning to detract as there's not much conditions info. Might be best for a different thread as I'm just musing really.

Very sparse snow cover and bare bealachs with largely unfrozen earth paths. But we've recognised it at SHR because Charlie's done so:
http://www.scottishhillrunners.uk/LongDistanceRecords.aspx?LongDistanceReco...

Appalling Daily Record headline and reporting regardless when nobody's *smashed* any record (12 minutes in much less wintry conditions), and they're talking about it like nobody's done it faster in any conditions.

But a December Ramsay's Round is a notable achievement, so kudos to Donnie for that!
 petestack 04 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> Maybe Charlie needs to rule on it?

He has. I asked him last night and he also told me Donnie had checked the criteria with him before setting off.

OP DaveHK 04 Dec 2016
In reply to petestack:
> > Appalling Daily Record headline and reporting regardless when nobody's *smashed* any record (12 minutes in much less wintry conditions), and they're talking about it like nobody's done it faster in any conditions.

It took me a minute or two to disentangle my outrage at the Daily Record reporting from my admiration for a December round!

> But a December Ramsay's Round is a notable achievement, so kudos to Donnie for that!

Indeed.
Post edited at 22:49
In reply to petestack:

> Very sparse snow cover and bare bealachs with largely unfrozen earth paths.

Pete, I was on Aonach Mor, Aonach Beag, CMD and Ben Nevis on the Saturday and Na Gruagaichean ridge in Mamores on Sunday. There was a lot of frozen paths / ground throughout so I'd suggest it's unfair to say largely unfrozen.

From a winter hillwalking background, I did think it was winter conditions up high (it certainly wasn't Summer / Autumn) but I appreciate there's a wide spectrum.

Disclaimer - I'm friends with Donnie.

petestack 05 Dec 2016
> There was a lot of frozen paths / ground throughout so I'd suggest it's unfair to say largely unfrozen.

I was on the Mamores on Saturday afternoon, and nothing was frozen at all. That said, Donnie had been through the Mamores overnight and finished his round after dark again, so quite possibly encountered more slippery conditions at start and finish. Comment on the SHR page is restricted to what's beyond doubt, which is that he's set a faster time with much sparser snow cover.
 Jamie B 07 Dec 2016
In reply to petestack:

To horribly mangle a climbing expression, it would appear that the true white-point is still on the table.
*gets coat*

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...