something inside my ice axe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 somethingelse 02 Dec 2016
i bought a used pair of fly axes on here a couple of years ago, they weren't excessively worn when i got them, and i've used them a fair bit, but they don't look anywhere near worn out. Having got them out last week in the cold snap for an optimistic venture into broad crag gully in the lakes (it wasn't quite in when i got there) it sounds like one of them has something inside it. you can here whatever it is rattle down the inside of the shaft when you up-end the axe. presumably a bit of grit has found its way inside? i checked for fractures and couldn't see anything though, anyone have any ideas about what it might be? is it possible the metal has perished from the inside do you think?

any thoughts much appreciated.

thanks

leon 1 02 Dec 2016
In reply to somethingelse:
Its possibly a small piece of excess glue from the bonding of either the head or spike that has come loose and is now rattling around inside the shaft. Not all that uncommon and usually nothing to worry about. Hope that helps
Post edited at 17:04
 Billhook 02 Dec 2016

woodworm.
 wiwwim 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

axolotl?
cb294 02 Dec 2016
In reply to wiwwim:

No.

Satan!

CB
OP somethingelse 03 Dec 2016
In reply to leon 1:

Thanks for the replies, especially leon, will try exorcism and ronseal just to make sure though
 Dave Hewitt 04 Dec 2016

This sounds like the follow-up single to Labi Siffre's Something inside so strong...
 Timmd 04 Dec 2016

Metal doesn't perish, it only corrodes/rusts etc. I wouldn't have thought that would have happened?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...