Salomon running shoes as a brand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 02 Dec 2016
1) Do you think their running shoes offer value for money?

2) Have you ever run a mountain marathon in a pair?

3) What are the trainers you use and why?
 Dark-Cloud 02 Dec 2016
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

Yes but better value if you buy in sales etc.

Yes, Speedcross and SLAB Sense Ultra SG and an ultra marathon in normal Sense Pro

As above, its the only thing that i have found that works with my heels.
Ferret 02 Dec 2016
They are 'not bad' - depending on what model you get and whether you get a deal (usually on old stock, i.e. speedcross 3 are cheap now as there is a speedcross 4 out, but also silly stuff like last 'pair of size X in spring colours' when its moved on to the autumn range does also come up).

I've used Fellraisers which I did Lakeland 50 in. Really liked them but it appears I just do not get on with shoes with a low heel to toe drop as these gave me very very stiff calves despite lots of stretching and running more than enough in them to get me 'used to them'... (i.e. several hundred ks).

I've since been on Speedcross 3 which have a steeper heel to toe drop that suits me better but I do find them a bit more unstable (probably as a result). The first pair had a lace loop rip at 450km so I returned them and got another pair on warranty. The second pair has just done the same but as I've done a little over 1000km in them and they are more worn out generally I'll just replace those without making a fuss. So it does seem that the skinny laces present a bit of an issue in longevity. That said, I've also got a pair of Innov8 race Ultras (that don't seem to suit me) that have developed holes after about 400km, so ironically, for shoes designed for ultra distances, doing ultra miles does seem to indicate you might get through a lot of shoes.....

Oh, and the speedcross have done Yorkshire 3 peaks, Lakeland 100 (half of, I changed at 60 miles) and Glencoe skyline amongst others. They are not great on wet rock (are any?) but handle mud, grass, loose stuff and tracks well.
Post edited at 13:25
 yorkshireman 02 Dec 2016
> 1) Do you think their running shoes offer value for money?

Yes. Certainly no worse than other comparable brands.

> 2) Have you ever run a mountain marathon in a pair?

I think the furtherst I've run is about 37km in them - for longer stuff I use other brands.

> 3) What are the trainers you use and why?

Salomon Speedcross 3 for short non-winter stuff. Snowcross for hard packed snow and ice or deep snow, and trail races on XC ski tracks.

Brooks Cascadia for longer trail, Adrenaline for road.
Post edited at 13:53
 steveriley 02 Dec 2016

Top end, no. Never pay full price for shoes in any case.

No

How long have you got? Salomon didn't seem to suit my feet when I tried and were too tall/overbuilt
Various Inov-8 generally X-Talon, Terraclaw, Roclite. In grip/racyness->Comfort order

Why do you ask?
 jethro kiernan 02 Dec 2016

Speed cross 3, great shoes but as has been said on here don't buy them new get them in the sales. If you find a shoe that fits buy them cheap when you can.
I've run the the Snowdon race in them and rate them as good alrounders
 DaveHK 02 Dec 2016

The regular ones are much the same as other brands. The S-Lab ones are over the odds but can be got in the sales.

Yes the Highlander in Speedcross but that was a mistake. I did 2/3 of my Ramsay's Round in Fellraisers and 1/3 in Fellcross.

Fellraisers and Mudclaws for general hill running. Speedcross for trails and Fellcross for race day.

I have a very narrow foot and find that Salomon fit me much better. Even the supposedly narrow fit inov8s are too wide for me.
Post edited at 16:47
 wbo 02 Dec 2016

> 1) Do you think their running shoes offer value for money? Speedcross are pretty good value. The s-lab ones are expensive at rrp - good shoes but still that damages v.f.m.

> 2) Have you ever run a mountain marathon in a pair?no. But I don't run mountain marathons

> 3) What are the trainers you use and why?oooh. Couple of pairs Pegasus for road and hard trail. Speedcross sometimes, S-lab sense ultras as well - I'm trying to transition to lower rise shoes. The rise on speedcross is too much for me to run in much. I'm interested in trying Hokas

The Potato 02 Dec 2016

No they are very overpriced (as are other brands such as Inov-8) unless bought in sales. I dont think they perform significantly better than alternatives nor last long enough to warrant the price

No

Inov-8 mudroc - great all round off road performance from muddy trails to wet rocky mountains
More mile cheviot - very inexpensive ive got two in different sizes, one for all out muddy runs and one bigger pair to fit thick waterproof socks for running in snow
Salomon sense pro - good for fast trail runs
Saucony tr8 - great for trail ultra marathons, fair grip on most surfaces

Previously owned - salomon fellraiser - quite scary lack of grip on wet rock.
 markk 02 Dec 2016

As has already been said, no more or less so than any other brand - it's normally possible to find them at 'sale price' somewhere.

Nope, but I did the Glencoe Skyline in a pair of XA pro 3D ultras in 2015 (comfy, poor grip) and XT Wings this year (brilliant shoes).

I find salomon speedcross good for boggy long days out - the high heel raise suits me, but as already mentioned they don't always feel the most stable shoe because of this. The XT Wings were about to become my new go-to shoe and I've found them excellent for mountain days...

But then I discovered Hoka Speedboats. Amazing!! (But chilly for running in snow).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...