Resoled shoes returned in a weird shape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 C4T 30 Nov 2016

Just had my La Sportiva Womens Solutions back from the shoe repair for a resole and the top of the toes are a very strange shape compared to how they were when I sent them away. Which is likely due to the (unwanted) rand repair.

Does anyone have any experience with resole, that has seen this before? There is now excess space above my toes so the shoes aren't fitting snug anymore. I won't have chance to climb in them before the end of the week, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has had resoles returned in this shape? This is the first time to send my shoes away for repair, so I'd like to know if this is normal

http://imgur.com/eUEpaLV
http://imgur.com/6zEwCza
Post edited at 22:41
 duchessofmalfi 30 Nov 2016
In reply to sabriel:

It is definitely not normal - who did the resole?
 Andypeak 30 Nov 2016
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Unwanted rand repair. Gotta be Cheshire shoe repair. They are the only place I know that does does free rands even if you don't ask for them
 Prof. Outdoors 30 Nov 2016
In reply to sabriel:

I think some shoes tend to lose their shape more than others. Evolv Bandits are notorious for losing their shape during a re-sole.

The cost of re-soling seems to have increased recently. I have used 3 different re-solers.
Boreal Ballets - came back better than new,
Red Chili Torro - came back with rubber so thick I could reach holds previously beyond someone of my height.
Red Chili Phantoms - were a great shoe but Red Chili agreed that they were not actually a matching pair so refunded through the re-soler.
Evolv Bandits - re-soled but came back with a different shape for each foot. (again refunded)

I notice that some companies actually state that rands will automatically be blended into the repair whilst others state that they will only repair rands upon request.

Would be worth checking what your re-soler states and then getting back to them to see what they say. Both my refunds were painless.

CurlyStevo 01 Dec 2016
In reply to sabriel:
Looks like typical work from Cheshire. The only company I'd trust to do rands is llanberis resoles.
 Tigger 01 Dec 2016
In reply to sabriel:

I had a pair of Anasazi VCS come back with caps and way outa shape from Llanberris, and some Miura VS come back with caps from feet first and they felt like new. I'm not always sure the resoled can be blamed though, if you downsize loads and require caps i've been told (wrongly?) its harder to keep the shape.
OP C4T 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Tigger:

I don't downsize at all, my shoes were a perfect snug fit but now they're too big over the toes. If I did downsize, they'd probably fit a lot better right now ha!

OP C4T 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Thanks for the info, it sounds like you really can't really guarantee a shoe will keep its shape and so more downturned shoes may come back a funny shape whereas others shouldn't see as much of a problem. After a bad first experience, I doubt I'll be resoling any more shoes unless they're a flatter style.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...