FRI NIGHT VIDEO: Run Forever

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 25 Nov 2016
Run Forever, 3 kbNicky Spinks is a beef farmer from Yorkshire and one of the UK's best fell runners. In 2006, she was diagnosed with breast cancer, turning her world upside down. 'Run Forever' looks at Nicky's inspirational life and her record breaking attempt of a double Bob Graham Round in the Lake District; a 132 mile route, with 54000ft of ascent, that only one person has completed in under 48 hours.

Read more
 Tony & Sarah 25 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Both of us really enjoyed this. Well done UKC /UKH for showing this video.

Tony & sarah
 mountainbagger 25 Nov 2016

I love you UKC!

Oh, and Nicky of course
Beautiful and inspiring in so many ways. Well done to Nikky and everyone involved.

jimjimjim 25 Nov 2016

Legend. Pushing to the limit.
 Wainers44 25 Nov 2016

Crickey, I had high expectations...it was far better than I those! Flipping awsome achievement.
Removed User 25 Nov 2016

I was disappointed to miss this at Kendal so thanks for putting this on here. Really, really great film, fantastic.
 Mark Collins 26 Nov 2016

Thanks for this, I also missed it at Kendal. Sorry for my ignorance, but I was just wondering if anyone new the thoughts behind the decision to run to the summit of Yewbarrow in a clockwise direction, and then return to Keswick, before going to the summit of Yewbarrow in the opposite direction and returning please? That is, instead of doing two complete rounds in a clockwise direction.
 SenzuBean 26 Nov 2016
In reply to Mark
Collins:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=8412

Answered in her old interview. I am using a phone so can’t past relevent bit easily
 More-On 26 Nov 2016
In reply to Mark Collins:

IIRC when Nicky was asked this at Kendal she said it was to keep her going mentally, in that when she got to half distance she hadn't completed a BG so had to keep going to do anything 'meaningful '. Hopefully I've got that right....
Anyway, really good to be able to see this again so soon. Nothing matched it a Kendal in my humble opinion - the best outdoor film I've seen for a long time.
 Mark Collins 26 Nov 2016
In reply to More-On and SenzuBean:

Thanks both, makes sense now.
 simes303 27 Nov 2016

That was excellent.
 chris m fisher 28 Nov 2016

Great film on a great subject - very inspiring!
 Shapeshifter 28 Nov 2016

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant- loved it, so inspiring, thanks for putting it up.
 steveriley 29 Nov 2016
Watched it on the big telly last night. Great stuff, truly momentous yet very understated presentation and modesty. The Lakes looked on belting form with some really lovely filming.
Post edited at 07:44
 lummox 30 Nov 2016

This is fantastic. I loved the pride Joss had in her achievement as well.
 Adam Booth 01 Dec 2016

So good!
 Michael Hood 01 Dec 2016

I always thought that doing rounds like the BG required speed, but seeing Nicky's great achievement it's obvious that you don't need to be fast. Just lots and lots and lots of endurance, and the ability to keep on eating!

Good weather and quality support also seems to be a significant factor.
 petestack 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

> I always thought that doing rounds like the BG required speed, but seeing Nicky's great achievement it's obvious that you don't need to be fast. Just lots and lots and lots of endurance, and the ability to keep on eating!

They do and they don't. While the average MPH etc. required may be modest, much of the movement is quicker than it looks on camera (likewise with films of folk apparently plodding uphill in hill races), and Nicky's much faster than you might think just from watching that.

> Good weather and quality support also seems to be a significant factor.

Of course they help, but it's also possible to run the big rounds with minimal/no support, and the average runner aiming for a standard completion of one simply doesn't need the size and strength of team someone like Nicky will assemble for a record attempt or double.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...