NEWS: Kendal Mountain Festival 2016: Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 22 Nov 2016
Some of the team manning the Rockfax/UKC/UKH stand, 5 kbThe Kendal Mountain Festival 2016 proved once again to be a busy and inspiring four days of films, photos, music, art and literature with plenty of beer, food and social activity on the side. This year, the festival placed even more emphasis on making the events thoughtfully and creatively diverse, with more arts and literature sessions than ever before. A further major change saw the film screenings categorised by central themes and emotions rather than by activity, as in previous years.

Read more
 smithaldo 22 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH News: All very interesting, and I'm sure the boardman tasker means something to a few people, but who won the biggest competition..... the rope coiling one.

lucozade 23 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH News:
Interested to know what other people felt about the 'Best Of' films... Watched the Best Of at Rheged and there was a cheer at the end when the fell running video was shown as it was actually about mountains (and the Lakes) and was uplifting. No disrespect to the producers of the Best Of films, but I felt that overall, the other films were arty and sombre and didn't really reflect mountains brilliantly either. Hope the organisers take note for next year. Other than that, well done KMF and thanks
Post edited at 21:15
 Steve Wetton 23 Nov 2016
In reply to lucozade:

Brilliant weekend; excellent organisation, great for the Town, some great films and talks........especially Megos, but every year the last bit of the weekend is a amateurish! If I buy tickets to the 'Best of' showing, why cant they be allocated to a venue, hence avoiding having to go to the Brewery, queing up at Theatre 2, to have some guy count down the queue and then say, "sorry guys, you'll need to go to the Shakespear Centre...." which is fine, except when you've got your 88 year old parents with you! All a bit of a mystery given, as I say, how far this whole event has come over the years.

And the actual films we then saw in the Best of showing? Modest/poor. We say nothing in the 4.15 showing I'd want to see again.
 callwild 24 Nov 2016
In reply to lucozade:

Yep a totally wasted evening at "The Best of"
In reply to callwild: Much like the best of Banff which was a total waste of time and money. I wonder if the people who run these things know that they will fill cinemas everywhere no matter how poor the chhoices so they can do what they want. That's how it feels. Added to the fact that you can usually see all the films for free within a few days of KMFF the whole thing seems to be becoming a bit of a cynical marketing excercise.

Lakesben 24 Nov 2016

+1 for the 'Best of' being a dismal selection of films.
 lucozade 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

One of my mate's questions was whether things like KMF / Banff and others are trying to out-do each other in terms of arty-ness. I wonder if the films selected for Best Of reflected those responsible for choosing the films more than the mountain culture, climbing and the kinds of films people would prefer to see? The percentage of mountain-based films at KMF was in no way reflected at the Best Of sadly which doesn't bode well for the future without a change
 planetmarshall 25 Nov 2016
In reply to lucozade:

> I wonder if the films selected for Best Of reflected those responsible for choosing the films more than the mountain culture, climbing and the kinds of films people would prefer to see?

Well the film jury included Nick Bullock and Paul Diffley so I'm not sure how likely that is. As for "the kind of films people would prefer to see", that's a difficult thing to judge. It is a festival after all - you don't want a selection of films just pandering to the lowest common denominator. Nor do you want a selection only of interest to arts students. I guess this year they just got the balance a bit wrong.
 Max factor 02 Dec 2016

How much does a ticket cost please? And does one ticket do the whole festival or do you buy individually for the films you are interested in?

thx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...