Hard shell smocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 21 Nov 2016

Do these exist?

Not looking for a light one (OMM kammleika) and I'm concerned about the low wind resistance of the Jottnar Hymir.

I like smocks as they are uncluttered and I prefer the simplicity under a harness / hip belt.

Any other options?

Cheers! BB
 TobyA 21 Nov 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I'm concerned about the low wind resistance of the Jottnar Hymir.

Are you basing that on http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7197 ? Some people insist they don't notice it, and its just my imagination but I've reviewed quite a number of different neoshell things now and still maintain it IS noticeable. I don't want to suggest it is like wind coming through a loose knit hi loft fleece - it isn't. But it is cooler than old school goretex.

Nevertheless, the Hymir remains a real fave of mine.

Isn't Patagonia doing a smock this year in their hardcore range? Sure I saw one on some website recently.

BigBrother 21 Nov 2016

Brenig do a heavyweight one aspart of their workwear range.
 TobyA 21 Nov 2016

Here you go http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-m10-anorak/84165.html?dwvar_84165_col...

I was amused that most of the pictures and video clips that make up their rather clever "high alpine kit" mini site http://www.patagonia.com/high-alpine-kit/ seem to be from Scotland! Crap weather is us, even if we don't have much "high alpine".

Have you checked out the crux
Torq smock? It seems to tick most of your boxes and I have been impressed by how
breathable and durable mine is. It isn't that compact because of the quite burly fabric but is still light.

https://www.crux.uk.com/product/torq-smock

Another good option is the new Patagonia M10 but that is good deal more expensive and probably not quite as durable.

Tom

(Full disclaimer: I work for Crux but wouldn't recommend these if I didn't like them.)
 TobyA 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Very competitive price too.
It might be tricky for you to really say Tom, but have you found eVent to be durable? Seems to regularly come up as an issue here, particularly with the coats from one of your previous employers!
 Casa Alfredino 21 Nov 2016
In reply to TobyA:

I've had two rab event's and I can't say I had a problem with wind proofness. But that said, can't say they were overly impressive in terms of durability... luckily I got them for 2/10's of nothing...

Berghaus have made waterproof smocks.

Hyper, Asgard, Velum, etc.
 Taurig 22 Nov 2016

Alpkit and Montane do them, sub 300 g though so probably not winter thrutching proof if that's what you're after?
OP bouldery bits 22 Nov 2016

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I'll certainly be looking at the Crux option.

Cheers!

I have a Haglofs one which is Gore Pro, decent hood, well designed front pocket and seems pretty bomb proof!
Think they discontinued them a couple years back though
 james.slater 23 Nov 2016

Paramo!
I have the adventure light Smock and think its awesome. Its warmer than any other hardshell Ive used, and i havnt gotten wet in it yet. The hood is excellent too.

Having it said all that however, I dont use it for climbing so much, preferring to take a lighter shell that i can chuck on.
 TobyA 23 Nov 2016

Oh yeah, Alpkit do one now. 100 quid I think, looks good but not tried one. Their new full zip heavier shell looks great too - again only Decathlon competing with them on price.
OP bouldery bits 25 Nov 2016

I think the Crux Torq smock is the current front runner.

TRip - any idea if anyone has one in stock to try around the Lakes?

Thanks for the input all.

> I think the Crux Torq smock is the current front runner.

> TRip - any idea if anyone has one in stock to try around the Lakes?

> Thanks for the input all.

Needle Sports will have them in stock from early next week, at an extra special bargain price too.

Have a good weekend.
OP bouldery bits 26 Nov 2016

Fantastic. Many thanks.

You too!
ultrabumbly 26 Nov 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> Oh yeah, Alpkit do one now. 100 quid I think, looks good but not tried one. Their new full zip heavier shell looks great too - again only Decathlon competing with them on price.

I have the Pulsar. I'd wanted to try one since it was announced at the beginning of the summer. It is very, very, supple. I haven't had it out on the hills yet but have been out for some blustery and very wet runs along the waterfront. Very pleased with it so far. The cuff veclro is secure which is often an issue with lightweight shells that have more than just elastic. I doubt the hood would take a helmet though ( can't check as it is packed atm). I also doubt that it would stand up to very much climbing abuse. I kind of see it as substantial yet light enough for carrying as a throw on over a light softshell over the winter for "mostly on the move" stuff.

I find the fit is a little snug across the shoulders but I actually wanted something very trim. They certainly seem like great VFM. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so soft as the initial pictures gave the impression it would be a bit stiffer. As I might now use it for running more than I had initially intended it would have been nice if it had some reflective trim. Not that big an issue for me as if I use it for training I can run somewhere that is traffic free.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...