Dehydrated food vs boil in the bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tingle 20 Nov 2016
What are your favourite "meal in a bag" ? I have only ever eaten boil in the bag food packs while out on a lightweight trip because the local shop does them but found it to still be pretty cold or loses heat quickly after boiling for 8 or so minutes. Fairly heavy and un satisfying too but thats to be expected I guess. Cheers
 JIMBO 20 Nov 2016
In reply to tingle:

Depends what you are doing.
I use dehydrated when water isn't an issue and weight is... e.g. high altitude on snow.
I use boil in the bag when water is an issue or cooking outside is not possible... e.g. in torrential rain and I can't be arsed to get wet going to the stream for more water (can be eaten cold)
Removed User 20 Nov 2016
In reply to tingle:

I've been using these for the last few years. They give BMC discount.

http://www.mountaintrails.org.uk/
 jsmcfarland 20 Nov 2016
In reply to tingle:

Adventure food. The green packets (just add water). Oh my god they are so delicious. Cashew rice is actually good enough that I hate a few packets at home last time I bought a bunch for hassle-free trip 'cooking'
 olddirtydoggy 20 Nov 2016
In reply to tingle:

Cous cous, that will be all.
Also, the dehydrated meals for me just didn't pack the punch needed to fuel me up.
OP tingle 21 Nov 2016
In reply to JIMBO:

i was more asking for an alpine bivvy situation so that sounds good thanks
OP tingle 21 Nov 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

yeah boil in the bag ones never came close to hitting the spot. ill definitely be supplementing with some nice meat and cheese from the valley in any case.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...