Help picking a Rab sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jaris84 20 Nov 2016
Hi!
I an looking to buy a Rab sleeping bag for winter use. There are currently a couple on sale atm.

I can't decide between summit 800 og Ascent 900.

I primarily want the warmest one. Does anyone have any experience with the two?
 Pedro50 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Jaris84:

No personal experience of either although the Ascent 900 has more down and the Rab website says a better temp rating. I have an older version of this (which was rated to -12C from memory) and is a higher overall spec:

http://rab.equipment/uk/accessories-equipment/sleeping-bags/neutrino-endura...

email me at peter.c.steward(@)gmail.com if interested in a deal

Regards
HGTS 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Jaris84:

I have only had good experiences with the Ascent 900. Although it is a bit heavier for it's warmth than the Neutrino range which I think use a higher fill power of down I personally love mine to bits. Be warned however it is pretty warm for everything but winter use in the UK.
Jaris84 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Jaris84:

Ok, thanks for the answers so far. The problem is that depending on where I read, i varies who is the warmest. I would assume more down equals more warmt, but then again, maybe the technology behind each bag has some impact as well.

The summit 800 is normally priced higher than ascent 900, although now on sale, it has a bigger discount and for me it is cheaper than ascent 900.

On rabs own pages, it says the summit 800 is warmer than ascent 900: http://rab.equipment/us/ascent-900 , even though the temprating says otherways.

I am very confused :-P
 Pedro50 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Jaris84:

Your link leads to a US site where the temps are in Farenheit - all adds to the confusion! On the UK site pretty sure the Ascent is higher rated
Jaris84 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Farenheit is not a problem. If you look at the bottom of the page, you get a suggestion to a warmer bag, and a lighter bag. Summit 800 comes up as a warmer alternative.
 elliot.baker 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Jaris84:

I am literally making this exact same decision as we speak! May I ask where you've seen the summit discounted?

Thanks
 Pedro50 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Jaris84:

Yes I see the suggestion, but then look at the Summit rating at the top of the page when you click on that link (+5F). It looks like an error to me
Jaris84 20 Nov 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:
http://www.hektapatur.no/vare-merker/rab/soveposer/rab-summit-800?utm_sourc...

It is a norwegian site, so I`m not sure if it does you any good, if you``re not from Norway :-P
Jaris84 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

You are probably right, but like I said, the ascent 900 is cheaper bag than the summit 800. And I`` ve noticed that is has different shapes as well. And in additiont o that I` ve read somewhere that there can vw a huge difference between ratings and actual temp-limits due to shape, technology (the down stays where it iss supposed to during night), etc. All of this is differences the ratings doesn` t consider.
 elliot.baker 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Jaris84:

I think I also read that the summit has a water resistant outer fabric whereas the ascent does not. This is what was drawing me to the summit.

Is that a consideration for you?

I thought I'd rather have water resistant just in case it get's damp and condensationy in my tent.
Jaris84 20 Nov 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

Thats a good point!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...