Northern Cairngorms overview 18/11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 18 Nov 2016
Went for a wander up Goat Track and over Macdui today, then down to Etchachan and Loch Avon and back up Coire Raibert. Hells Lum area icing up quickly! Some photos here if anyone interested:

https://www.facebook.com/gmsmith99/posts/10154463479785865

Generally though....it's not quite the "all mountains in full winter condition" that MWIS were suggesting. Yes, it's wintry and it was baltic at times, but the old snow from last weekend is all but gone.
New stuff is powdery fluff.
Turf open to elements seems pretty solid.
Turf under new snow is "moist" to say the least...
Ice forming quickly in places.
Teams out in Lochan and Sneachda (Lochan seemed to be the popular choice mind you!)
Snowed up rock seemed to be order of the day.
None of the gullies in Sneachda looked to be complete, lots of rock on show, could be quite spicy for those who are feeling adventurous!
Goat track and Coire Raibert path were definitely on the icy side, crampons advised (certainly for descending anyway)

Day one of winter done, here's hoping my feet don't hurt like this after all of them!!!

joe.wahab 18 Nov 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

Can't follow the link, thanks for such a detailed report though!
 Busby 18 Nov 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

Cheers for that sir, always good to get some news from the coal face...
OP peebles boy 18 Nov 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

Made it public, should work now!!
 joe.wahab 18 Nov 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

Yeah got it, thanks very much for sharing!
 doz 19 Nov 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

nice pictures Gordon....think we met you in Sneachda first thing and would definitely concur with your synopsis of conditions not quite being in! Hope the feet are feeling better, if any consolation my legs aren't :~)
OP peebles boy 19 Nov 2016
In reply to doz:

Not even with frozen-turf sniffing abilities?!
 baileyswalk 20 Nov 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

Was in Sneachda yesterday, lots of parties out climbing but 'winter nick' is debatable. No need to get into another ethics debate but one thing to keep in mind is to be careful of loose rock and of climbing under/behind others. Had one boulder come flying past me and saw another in the gulley below clip some poor bugger on the knee.
 S Andrew 20 Nov 2016
Wandered in to the Stuic on Lochnagar on Saturday. Pretty meagre there too. Descent gully not full. Turf under cover not frozen.
 Euge 21 Nov 2016
In reply to baileyswalk:

My mate came up with a classic... "under these conditions the grade goes up and the ethics go down".
We went for a walk over to Ben Macdui instead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...