Kendal films and downloading

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 18 Nov 2016
Hello lovely gang.
I am not able to go to Kendal this year because of impending second child. I noticed somewhere that some of the films can be downloaded and are released as soon as they are shown at Kendal. Is there a website I should go to for this, where can I do it? I'm hoping to have Kendal at home.
 FactorXXX 18 Nov 2016
In reply to puppythedog:

I'm hoping to have Kendal at home.

Felicity or the mint cake?
OP Puppythedog 18 Nov 2016
In reply to puppythedog:

Felicity (Goodlife era in Dungarees) with the mint cake
 planetmarshall 20 Nov 2016
In reply to puppythedog:

Mirror Wall is available here,

youtube.com/watch?v=cBSnwpcYRqA&
 donuthead8 21 Nov 2016
In reply to puppythedog:

And Shifting Dreams
youtube.com/watch?v=WqUpxCco3PA&
 planetmarshall 21 Nov 2016
In reply to puppythedog:
I've added a playlist on YouTube here -

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0WEBWUGpvI0FUVwOxr9BzgHpevdSkg70&jct=1eZhYJmougVeqe6mzot2mS_AZv4lQA

Just Mirror Wall and Shifting Dreams at the moment, but it's public so you should be able to add more if you find any (you'll need to copy and paste the link as UKC thinks it's a video).

* Edit, I've added a couple of films from 2015 as well.
Post edited at 09:21
 Lord_ash2000 21 Nov 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

Thanks for posting, went to the best of kendal at reghed last night and we were all very disappointed. Didn't show any actual climbing films and on top of that the main feature was a 90min depressing documentary about the monotius grind of being a peasent in Nepal.

It was to be fair quiet an interesting film, but something for BBC 4 on a lazy evening alone at home. I went to be inspired, to come out wanting to go climbing. Instead we left just wanting to get home and go to bed.

Worse than last year's one, that was depressing enough but at least it was about mountaineering.
 planetmarshall 21 Nov 2016
In reply to puppythedog:

King of the Mountain, winner of Best Short Film, is available here -

vimeo.com/130733756
 Johnsulli 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

I was also in attendance at rheged last night and was very dissapointed at the lack of climbing/alpinism films. I was expecting to be awed and inspired, but instead got treated to 7 short films only tangentially related to mountains, and as you've already noted a grueling 90 minute documentary on how s*** it is to be poor in a developing country.

Think the worst bit was when the presenter told us that the People's Choice award went to Blocheads, but that we wouldn't be able to watch it!
 Andy Prickett 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Johnsulli:

We were also there and thoroughly agree with the other 2 posts.

We will stick to the Banff World Tour in future.

CathS 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Johnsulli:

I had an identical experience to you two at the 'Best of' in Kendal yesterday afternoon!

I was gobsmacked when they announced at the end that they wouldn't be showing the Peoples' Choice film after all.
 Lord_ash2000 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Johnsulli:

> Think the worst bit was when the presenter told us that the People's Choice award went to Blocheads, but that we wouldn't be able to watch it!

Agree completely, I was like "what??? what's the only reason we came"
 SenzuBean 21 Nov 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Mirror Wall is available here,

That was good. ;'(
OP Puppythedog 22 Nov 2016
In reply to puppythedog:

Thanks very much for your input
In reply to puppythedog: Good for you that you didn't shell out all that monety to see films that can be viewed for free a day later. I'm not surprised the so-called "best of Kendal" was actually very disappointing as others have said, and that folks weren't allowed to see the "People's choice".
 Pkrynicki1984 22 Nov 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I watched mirror wall last night ...really disappointing !
 callwild 23 Nov 2016
In reply to puppythedog:

The most disappointing "Best of"I have ever attended.
No mountain films, , the new categories made me cringe, nothing inspiring or exciting.
The final 90 minutes of depression was I have heard described at tantamount to abusing the audience.
I had taken my elderly father who has spent his life mountaineering to the show for a bit of a treat and was extremely embarrassed to have to put him through such a collection of non-mountaineering dirge.
They got it very wrong this year and has left me thinking why bother in future.
To then announce the peoples choice but not show it was a kick in the teeth. terrible
Removed User 23 Nov 2016
In reply to callwild:
> The final 90 minutes of depression was I have heard described at tantamount to abusing the audience.

I was at the Kendal show on Sunday night and while I share the view that it was disappointing, the above comment is a bit OTT and actually a bit insensitive given the nature of "Drawing the Tiger." In defence of the festival organisers, I think it is good they show a wide range of films including such a hard-hitting one rather than catering for a narrow demographic of wannabe sick gnarly dudes who only want to see people jumping off stuff while screaming when not lazing in their campervans tending their dreadlocks. OK, that is OTT on my part but you get my drift.

That said, while I liked the film about the Aussie photographer and enjoyed the Icelandic surf film (mainly for the wind character), none of the films will stay with me like Eclipse, High and Mighty, Operation Moffat and especially Denali did last year. And I'm a bit amazed there were no actual climbing/mountaineering films in there on Sunday.

I'm not sure what I think about the inclusion of Drawing the Tiger. It was staggeringly grim and sad, and I wasn't entirely comfortable being party to this family's private life, irrespective of their consent. I also felt that it was strange to end the festival on such a downward note, a thought that compere Nick Wharton probably shared hence the decision to end the programme with the Flying Frenchies. Again, I'm not sure what to make of this move. One one hand it seems unacceptable to have everyone leaving the festival in gloomy silence, but on the other, we felt uncomfortable with having been engaged for 100 minutes with this probably none too rare Nepali tragedy, and then immediately cheered back into our happy western bubble by some French loons launching a few musicians across the Verdon gorge. I think showing Drawing the Tiger in such a programme was a damned if you do damned if you don't move.

Drawing the Tiger probably needs its own thread. I felt it was an important film and as appropriate to the festival as a whole as anything else (indeed much more than a few I can think of) but I'm not convinced it fitted with a programme like Best of the Fest, even if it was a prize winner.

Anyway, grumbles aside, I think the organisers mainly do a great job which is probably a bit too thankless in places. I'll almost certainly be back next year, though I'll do a bit more research about the films in Best of the Fest first.

And finally, they need to drop the Jim Bowen "Here's what you could have won" thing with announcing the Grand Prize winner but not showing it. I think that pissed a lot of people off.
Post edited at 19:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...