Winter Mountaineering Rucsac

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sadly I’m having to retire my POD rucsac and am looking for what I describe as a “proper winter mountaineering sack”; around 35/40 litres, nothing faffy – top drawcord opening (zips just don’t work in the winter for me), something that’ll take plenty of abuse.

I have a couple of Osprey Talons which are great sacks but just don’t pass muster for me as a winter sack. A bit too fiddly and flimsy.

For those of you as old as me, my previous sack was a Karrimor Alpiniste, so you kind of get the idea of the sort of sack I’m looking for. My POD was one of the original Sheffield made sacks, and sadly Equip killed off the brand in favour of Lowe Alpine so what’s the what’s the winter bag of choice of the UKHillwalking collective?
 LG-Mark 16 Nov 2016
In reply to exiled_northerner:

I'm in a similar position. My 20yr old Macpac Tuatara is due for replacement.

But, I've always had a soft spot for Lowe Alpine packs, having had an Alpamayo 70l sack in the 90's and now a Cerro Torre as my large sack. Both have been totally indestructible.
For a year, i've been using a Mountain Attack 45:55 for bivi-trips, and i'm thoroughly impressed by its relatively low weight, comfort, durability and features but its perhaps a bit large for single day out so i'm looking at the Peak Attack 32 to replace the Tuatara.

You could perhaps consider the Crux AK range, i think they are closest in design and philosophy to the original Pete O'Donnell packs.

For serious Scottish Winter climbers the hands down choice last winter seemed to be the Arc'teryx Alpha FL 30. The Patagonia Ascensionist was also a fairly common sight on Ben Nevis as were Black Diamond Speed packs.

My current winter climbing sac is the small but rugged Blue Ice Warthog 26.
 Sharp 17 Nov 2016
The only companies that spring to mind who make packs similar to the old Karrimor Alpinise are Aguille Alpine in Stavely or Blue Ice. Both make traditionally shaped packs, Aguille probably more traditional fabric and design (i.e. normal ice axe loops, canvas fabrix) and blue ice more modern fabric and while being unfaffy have an axe pocket suitable for cruved tools, a removable helmet net etc.

The other option is just to keep a look out on ebay, there was an Alpiniste sold a couple of days ago for about £70 and quite often you can see old pod, berghaus, macpac and karrimor sacks which although worn will be good value and exactly what you want compared to the faffy and over-fancification that almost all the modern manufacturers have succumbed to.
Post edited at 08:09
 Sharp 17 Nov 2016

P.S. I have an almost new (used a couple of times at most) blue ice warthog (the old 38 red style - http://tinyurl.com/jbpyeot) which I keep meaning to sell as it doesn't fit me particularly well and aparently having a cupboard full of spare rucksacks isn't a good use of space. Nice bag though.
 wercat 17 Nov 2016
In reply to Sharp:
My Aiguille sacs have outlasted by multiples anything else I've ever had for scrambling, walking, winter climbing, alpine etc. The first is in need of repair but still serves well as a sac for rock climbing. Frankly I won't look elsewhere as I've had excellent service from the company (my second sac was made to order using an older pattern as I was so happy with the previous one).

I'd similarly recommend Cioch Direct on Skye for winter clothing
Post edited at 09:19
 chris_s 17 Nov 2016

If you can get hold of one in the UK, Exped Mountain Pro 40 sacks are simple, bombproof and really comfortable.
 KA 17 Nov 2016

You'll not go wrong with a Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack 35:45. Mine's had over 200 days of fairly heavy use and still going strong.
 r1ch79 17 Nov 2016

Have a look at Crux AX range

Im looking at them for a 45 bag for winter overnights where I want my sleeping bag, tent roll mat inflateable mate food small stove and food and drink plus winter kit

also looking at Lowe Alpine attack and considering an Aguille as I used one for a day last year at Glenmore Lodge when my old cheap 35 paid dearly for my optimism.....
In reply to Sharp:

Thanks for all the advice guys. Good to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't like "the faffy and over-fancification that almost all the modern manufacturers have succumbed to"!

Like the look of the Warthog Ben, but the only downside for me is no side compression straps.
 Dark-Cloud 17 Nov 2016

As above The Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack might be worth a look, i have just bought one as my do everything bag, not used it anger yet though.......

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7405
 aldo56 17 Nov 2016

The new Blue Ice Warthog has compression straps.
 The New NickB 17 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_s:

> If you can get hold of one in the UK, Exped Mountain Pro 40 sacks are simple, bombproof and really comfortable.

Why on earth did you get a dislike for that. I had a Mountain Pro 40 for a few years, thought is was a great sac, would still be using it if some bastard hadn't nicked it when they burgled my house.
 jethro kiernan 17 Nov 2016

I have the Lowe alpine attack 35-45 good allround sack, still has quite a few straps and I do like the Look and simplicity of the Arcteryx FL range
Having said that the Lowe alpine is a very good all rounder and can take my rope ice axes and tripod on the outside and I have used it without the lid which cleans it up a bit and you can squeeze enough in for an overnighter
 chris_s 17 Nov 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

I have a sad, lonely dislike stalker who is under the illusion that I once wronged him. He dislikes everything I post. He's been at it for months now and I'm actually impressed with his stamina. He'll be along in a minute.
 Ann S 19 Nov 2016

Perhaps you need one if these.

https://www.cuillinsacs.com/products

Short of filling my Cuillin 2 with nitro glycerine and dropping it into Gaping Gill I can't see that anything I do to it is ever going to pop it's clogs. But then it's only about 25 years old so not really run in yet.
 Glyno 20 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_s:

> If you can get hold of one in the UK, Exped Mountain Pro 40 sacks are simple, bombproof and really comfortable.

I have one of these, hardly used, if anyone is interested in buying it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...