Lightweight 4 season versatile tent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GerhardHuman 15 Nov 2016
Hi all. I know this has been discussed quite a bit before, but most of the reviews/feedback I can find still leaves me a bit unsure.

I'm looking to buy a new tent since my trusty Ferrino is now at it's end after 13 years of rigorous usage.
It will mainly be used for backpacking and climbing peaks around South Africa. Winter and summer. So that means it needs to be a lightweight tent, sleeps 2 (me and my wife) and most importantly it should stand up to the hardcore cape winds and winter rain. We have snow higher up but it's not really like bucket loads...
yea but this means often pitching the tent high up in the rain while the wind is howling.

I'm also very set on having a good vestibule for cooking. The number of nights I had to cook in my tent while it's blowing buckets of ice rain outside really makes this a vital attribute.

I'm really liking the Hilleberg Nallo 2 (even keen to carry the heavier Nammadj 2) but I've never seen one in person. Only review and discussions on the internet. Though if the Nallo is strong enough I'd appreciate the lighter load

Then there's the Lightwave G20 Mtn. It looks like a bomber tent. Light and spacious! But I can't find anything about it online? Does anyone have any experience with it?
http://www.lightwave.uk.com/products/tents/mtn

I'm also curious how the Fjalraven Abisco light 2 compares to the nallo? They look very similar. The Nordisk Holland 2 also looks to be in the same spec?

Cool but feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
 Xharlie 15 Nov 2016
In reply to GerhardHuman:

There's no such thing as a "4 season" tent. Either it works in the rain or it works in the snow - not both. The solution is simple: buy a rain tent and a snow tent and use the appropriate one.
 ben b 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

That's an overcall, I think - unless talking about specific expedition ("5 season") tents.

Sure having full snow valances is a bad idea in cool rainy conditions, single skin makes sense in the greater ranges, and inner pitching first is a pain in the rain, but there are plenty of tents out there that work fine in both. 20 years ago the choice was essentially Quasar or Quasar....

For the OP, it sounds like wind and rain are the main issues as massive snow loading not expected. In which case a "fly and inner pitch together" tent might be a sound move. We have a Macpac Olympus, which does this very nicely, has a decent vestibule (and a tiny one at the other end for escapes!) and does nicely in grim NZ conditions. However we mainly went for it as it was cheapish and readily available - the Hillebergs were on the list too, but twice the cost.

HTH

b
OP GerhardHuman 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Hi Xharlie, well I get your point but the term is widely used for tents like the MH Trango, NF Mntn25, Nammadj etc where you have a winter tent that's usually double walled so it can be used in warmer climates as well. I know it will never be as comfortable as a 3 season tent like a Hubba but I've been using my Ferrino Stardust for this purpose for the last 13 years and it's been fine. Just a bit too heavy and the vestibule could be bigger.

So there are tents like these out there and sorry it's a term I just used since most people know what you mean. Please let's not get into terminology...

Ideally it would be great to have multiple tents... but I'm looking for something that will be MORE specced for winter use. But not aiming to go proper alpine climbing with it.
In reply to ben b:

Hi Ben, thanks yea like you said it's not really for "5 season" usage. Although the weather gets wicked at the top of the mountains in the Drakensberg and we do have strong winds in the cape.

The Macpack Olympus also looks rad. Pretty much similar to the tunnel design shapes as the Hilleberg and Fjalraven. Will also keep that in mind.

Hey so the main criticism I've been seeing about the tunnel tents is that it's hard to pitch on rocky ledges and stuff.
I've camped out on quite a few ledges and rocky spots in the mountains and this is something I've been wondering about. As far as i can remember there's always been rocks about (I mean it's a mountain right!) so with rocks as anchors it should be fine to pitch out the tunnel right? Sorry I'm asking all these odd questions since I can't actually look at any of these tents here in South Africa... so it's a bit of guesswork :P
In reply to Siward:

Hey Siward, yea looks nice but that's heeeeeeavy :P
The Extended vestibule designs does look nice and livable but I think I'm fine with just a nice size vestibule and compact design.
Still would like to hear if anyone has ever used/seen one of the Lightwave G20 Mtn tents?
 DaveHK 15 Nov 2016

With those specs I doubt you'll be disappointed by a Nallo, provided you understand the differences between a tunnel tent and a semi-geodesic. The porch is plenty generous for a 2 person tent. As for Lightwave there are some that sing their praises but the one I had was total crap from the word go, leaky, impossible to pitch right and developing tears around the stitching after a week's use.
OP GerhardHuman 16 Nov 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave, sorry to hear about that. I was hoping that the Lightwave tents could be this hidden gem of perfection! haha I guess nothing is too good to be true

I'm pretty keen on the Hillebergs. They're flipping expensive but I'd rather save up and buy one good tent that I have faith in.

I haven't used a tunnel design tent before, but have been reading about them for the last couple of months and I'm getting more and more into the idea.

Thanks for the input!
 HeMa 16 Nov 2016

> I haven't used a tunnel design tent before, but have been reading about them for the last couple of months and I'm getting more and more into the idea.

I assume, that you'll have space to pitch the tent in any orientation you wish? And the wind doesn't rapidly change direction.

If you answer 'yes' to both, then a tunnel tent is indeed most space for weight and still "storm proof". A lot of polar explorers use tunnel tents for the reasons mentioned above, plus the fact that both inner and outer generally pitch together.

As for the Hille, they are solid tents, but consider the Nallo GT instead of the normal one. That one has a bigger porch, so nicer to store stuff and cook.

Nordisk is a new'ish brand, I think from Germany, that "copies" Hillenberg for their tents. Haven't heard anything bad from them... but then again, most of my palls seem to have the real thing.

ChrisNaylor 16 Nov 2016

I thoroughly rate the Hilleberg Nammajt 2 gt, I've used it for work and play and whilst its a bit of a heiffer compared to other lighter tents I've always felt it worth the extra pack weight (it can also be easily divided out between two of you to spread the weight especially if climbing with it in your pack).

On a few climbs last winter its vestibule provided a bit of a social hub whilst it was blowing a hoolie outside and we even managed to cook in there with 4 of us in the vestibule (although this made for some interesting seating positions!).

If your budget allows I would without a doubt recommend it. Here's a bit of a review i wrote earlier this year on it:

http://chris-naylor.com/hilleberg-nammajt-2-gt-review/

OP GerhardHuman 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ChrisNaylor:

Thanks for the review Chris, sounds good

And thanks also for the insightful imput HeMa. Yea I've been thinking about the wind direction and placement.
Ofcourse there's only so much you can control but in the past I've always managed to find a good spot to place the tent.
The direction of the wind might change though but it seems like the Nammatj is pretty strong. And that's also why I'm erring on going for the shorter and smaller tent. Think it should be a LITTLE bit stronger in side winds than the GT and 3 of 4 man models?

Cool but appreciate the good advice!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...