Winter mountaineering trousers... Paramos or hardshells or .....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Emily_pipes 10 Nov 2016

My winter mountaineering trousers, a pair of old hardshell Gore Tex Pro ski pants that I bought off a mate for cheap, died last winter. I've been hiking up wintery hills in the hardshells over fleecy leggings. I need a system that minimizes faff, because I was a lizard in a previous life and get cold easily, and this works since I don't have to futz with overtrousers if snowing, raining, or if I want to glissade.

Good women's hardshells seem to be impossible to find in a shop (or anywhere, because finding women's gear sucks), and I'm not keen to buy blind online because things often don't fit me.

Local shops (Glasgow) do, however, sell Paramos. I have friends who swear by them, and I tried them on and they fit.

Do I switch to Paramos, or continue the Sysisphian task of searching for women's hardshells? If the latter, which ones?

I mainly do winter hillwalks, up to about Grade I.
Post edited at 11:22
 koolkat 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Emily_pipes:

paramo rocks as winter shells ive used them up to 7000m with just a ultrafleece trouser underneath I now have the
velez trousers for winterwalking a bit lighter than the sallopettes I used for expeditions
 d_b 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I have an old pair of montane microfleece/pertex salopettes which are amazing for winter conditions, if a bit heavy.
 HeMa 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Parama or any other softshell with teh bells and whistles you want is suitable when it's going to be constantly cold (as in below -5) and no flowing water.

Hardshells when it's soggy, like climbing cascades or soggy scottish mixed.

And a hybrid design with best of both worlds, like 'Ryx Alpha Comp.

I'd prolly start with the hybrid and then get a hardshell if things look like I'd end up in situations where the hybrids don't work well enough. Or if I also have summer alps dreams, in which case I'd get a thin full-zip hardshell pants to be worn over lighter weight softshells... Said softshells can also be worn during winter with thick enough underpants.
ceri 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Emily_pipes:
I love my paramo trousers for winter and also have an ancient pair of their salopettes which I wear for colder days (did Norway ice climbing and skiing in them, as well as UK winter days, they have a reinforced arse which makes them great for sliding down hills!) I am also a lizard. Yesterday I got my first chilblains of the winter...
I disagree that paramo is only for -5 and dry. The trousers are my 1st port of call for wet weather.
Post edited at 12:05
 IPPurewater 10 Nov 2016
In reply to ceri:

I'd concur with Ceri's analysis. I love my Paramo trouers for cold and wet weather.
 InSituJames 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Been using paramo aspira sallopettes for a number of years. Bit heavy but warm and breathable. Warmer still if you actually wear anything underneath. Padded knees, drop seat and pockets... I use for everything from winter walking to climbing to skiing.
 Pina 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I made a switch to membrane softshells last year and have been pretty happy with the system. Decathlon make a nice softshell membrane trouser for about £80 which when combined with fleece leggings does a great job at staying warm (and vents so you don't get too hot). There's a Decathlon at Braehead which generally has a decent stock.
 Jim Braid 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I've been using Paramo Cascada trousers since October 2007 and they're the best winter walking trousers I've had. There have been a few repairs in that time and the service has been excellent. Easily washed and re-proofed when required. No hesitation in recommending them. Like Koolkat I've now got a pair of Velez trousers for milder conditions. Also excellent.
OP Emily_pipes 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Jim Braid:

Are their any substantive differences (other than price tag) between the Cascada and the Aspira, or the Enduro (which appears to be men only, yay)?
 Fiona Reid 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I think that Paramo have stopped making the Aspira trousers but you might still be able to pick them up some places or second hand etc. These had foam padding in the knees and backside, pretty heavy + hard wearing and v. warm. I use them for most winter climbing + ski touring with merino long johns underneath. If you're a slight build you'll find them a bit baggy. The foam pads are great for winter climbing etc but for walking / ski touring I find them too sweaty/sticky so take them out, I'd also usually not have the thermals on if I'm going to be moving all the time.

With Cascada there's the old style ones (these have a draw string waist) and the newer Cascada II (zip + popper for the waist). Quite a lot of shops are selling off the original Cascada for £80-85 at the moment. Cascada II are a bit lighter than the originals and the fit is somewhat better (less baggy) but I guess it depends whether you think it's worth paying the extra £40-50 for the newer version.

Ventura are the ladies equivalent of the Enduro - these are basically thicker and heavier duty than Cascada II and I think meant to replace the Aspira. They don't have the foam padding and seem to be a much more sensible cut than the older models.

If you're mostly winter walking then the Cascada (old or new, whatever fits you best) are a probably good option. You can pop thermals on underneath if you want - although for walking I've never used thermals when wearing mine as I'm usually quite cosy enough without. The full leg length zips means you can easily vent them if you do get hot.

I confess, I really love the faff free nature of the Paramo stuff as you just pop the trousers on at the start of the day and don't have to fight with getting overtrousers on/off.
 Jim Braid 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Agree with all that Fiona says. I tried on Aspira salopettes before buying my Cascadas and found they were overkill for what I wanted to do. Also they weren't a very good fit for me and the pads made them feel cumbersome.

I was in Hilltrek in Aboyne today and had a look at the new Cascadas. Lighter and slimmer than the originals. Much less baggy. Priced at £135 but I was told I could have £50 off for trading in my old Cascadas which Paramo would recycle. They also offered to put crampon patches on the ankles if I wanted though never discussed the cost , if any, of doing so. Should my Cascadas need repair I'd probably take advantage of the offer and replace them.

Enduro were £230, look great but couldn't justify the extra cost. Main difference is a built in snow gaiter and crampon patches. Looked like a fairly athletic cut to them.

Never had to put thermals on under the Cascadas, or even felt the need for them when I've been out in poor conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...