Which resort for interesting skiing in the US?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 05 Nov 2016
We have a week in the US, or possibly Canada, to ski in February. I've skied a range of NA resorts (Taos, Keystone, several Tahoe resorts, Snowbird, Park City and a day at Whistler) and find them all relatively tame, the best being perhaps Big Sky in Montana. Was wondering about Jackson Hole. Any other ideas ? Has to have good off piste terrain and don't mind skinning or hiking to access it...
meffl 05 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

Taos, tame? Wow. Did you ski the whole thing?
 Trangia 05 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

Aspen?
OP Dave 05 Nov 2016
In reply to meffl:

> Taos, tame? Wow. Did you ski the whole thing?

No. To be fair I didn't. Partly because my lift ticket was confiscated after ducking under a closed gate to access some interesting looking terrain... it was very beautiful, and quiet, and isn't it snowboard free ?
 Frank4short 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

On the basis of what you've said the obvious "armchair punter"'s answer for where to visit next would likely be Jackson Hole. They have an open gate back country policy and its defo considered one of the more demanding resorts in the US.
 alasdair19 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

there is some interesting back country cabins just beyond whistler the "Duffy lake road"

but the skiing was interesting on tele gear a few years ago so maybe a bit soft for you.

if I was skiing na I would look at snow cat skiing. there are several operatots in bc. surely heli skiing for the environmentally concious...
 TobyA 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

Howdy partner (although I guess you're not in that part of the US). Are you in FB contact with Diana and Toni in Boulder? Toni is a very good skier and seems to be hugely enjoying the Rockies, although I'm not sure if where they are mainly backcountry touring. But might be worth messaging them for local advice on possible good areas round there. Toni works for BCA now so is obviously very much in the 'scene'.
meffl 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

Well you're obviously pretty experienced, but I think some of the hike to terrain on the ridge is about as tough as resort skiing gets. Theres now lift access to the ridge. Look into it. Snowboards are welcome these days.

As an aside, I really like the new mexico vibe, very unpretentious compared to aspen etc. A bit like Scotland is to the Alps on that regard.
 pneame 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

I've found Alta to be pretty good - also has (or had) cheaper lift tickets than most places.
 IainL 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

Alpental, Mt Baker, Crystal Mt. All in Washinton State.
OP Dave 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

Thanks all. A few ideas to look into...
 Erik B 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave: Jackson Hole is probably the hardest core of the US resorts mainly because it has a cable car, but still quite tame (compared to Europe). I really liked Alta which someone else has mentioned, mostly because of the amazing quality of the powder. Telluride is good too. For a quirky small and very friendly resort, Monarch is worth a visit, and had the best snow in Colorado I thought.

The worst thing about the US though is the chairlifts without foot rests, kills your knees! (assuming thats still the case as I havent been for a good few years)

paraffin 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:
Humble bragging, trolling, lacking in imagination - not sure?
Try googling "ski c#nt"

Post edited at 18:43
OP Dave 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Erik B:

> Jackson Hole is probably the hardest core of the US resorts mainly because it has a cable car, but still quite tame (compared to Europe).

Thanks, as it happens we booked a package week at Jackson Hole. It was even almost reasonably priced.
 Erik B 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave: send my regards to the mangy moose

Erik B 01 Dec 2016
In reply to paraffin: to be fair to the OP, thinking about his post cheered me up in an otherwise grey dreary corporate day. hope all is well with you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...