Alternatives to Scarpa Phantom guide Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ClimberChes 25 Oct 2016
Evening All,

Ive been looking recently for some new winter boots. The Scrapa phantom guides have taken my fancy but I'm not a fan of the price tag.

Can anyone recommend any similar boots that have the built in gaiter attached.

Any advice welcome.

Ches
 HeMa 25 Oct 2016
In reply to ClimberChes:

Sportiva Batura, Salewa Pro Gaiter, Boreal Stetind and about every other ice climbing boot maker has such models...
ClimberChes 25 Oct 2016
In reply to HeMa:

The Boreal's are definitely the cheaper on the suggested brands but I really like the look of the Salewa Pro Gaiter.
 HeMa 25 Oct 2016
In reply to ClimberChes:
You can have my 42s for 200€ plus shippin'.
 climber34neil 25 Oct 2016
In reply to ClimberChes:

Mammut nordwand tl are fantastic boots (as are all the others I'm sure) if you can find a pair, I think there may be a newer version now which look the same as the previous version so may be able to find a pair somewhere at a reduced price ( go outdoors had some earlier in the year)
 mrphilipoldham 25 Oct 2016
In reply to climber34neil:

I bought a pair of said boots from Go Outdoors.. £249. Absolute bargain, they've been bloomin' brilliant, if not perfect. I saw the new version in the Mammut store in Chamonix this summer, aside swapping the blue and orange colours over I couldn't see much difference on the face of it bar the £300 extra they wanted!!
 climber34neil 25 Oct 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I've just seen the new ones on line for £535 , aside from having 2.1 embroidered on the gaiter there doesn't seem to be much difference. I got mine at the end of last winter season so yet to try them in anger but I'm looking forward to it!
 JohnnyW 26 Oct 2016
In reply to ClimberChes:

> The Boreal's are definitely the cheaper on the suggested brands but I really like the look of the Salewa Pro Gaiter.

Got a pair en route from mail order in Germany, bargain price. Looking forward to giving them a go
 HeMa 26 Oct 2016

> I've just seen the new ones on line for £535 , aside from having 2.1 embroidered on the gaiter there doesn't seem to be much difference.

Well, the new one is a double boot for starters and also a lot warmer than the old model.
 climber34neil 26 Oct 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Double carbon sole according to the website but interestingly the same -35 temp rating as stated for the older model, although I wouldn't want to put that to the test of course,
ClimberChes 27 Oct 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks but I'm a 40
ClimberChes 27 Oct 2016

> Mammut nordwand tl are fantastic boots (as are all the others I'm sure) if you can find a pair, I think there may be a newer version now which look the same as the previous version so may be able to find a pair somewhere at a reduced price ( go outdoors had some earlier in the year)

Thanks, I will definitely have a look at these, I LOVE mammut!!
ClimberChes 27 Oct 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

You'll have to give me a review once you've used them a few times.

> Got a pair en route from mail order in Germany, bargain price. Looking forward to giving them a go

climber34neil 27 Oct 2016
In reply to ClimberChes:

I've used them dry tooling , they are nearly as light as my mates fruit boots!
ClimberChes 28 Oct 2016

I like the sound of that. Time to start shopping for my Mammut Nordwand TLs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...