Light B2 Boots (Scotland)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pinnacle_pete 24 Oct 2016
I'm hoping for a little advice on my next pair of winter boots... I've been wearing a pretty old (8yr?) pair of Scarpa Manta's since uni, and basically the sole has had it. I might look into resoling, but it seems like a good opportunity to see if the market has moved on much, particularly in terms of weight...

Could anyone help shortlist the leading B2 boots on the market at the moment that people would rate?

Starting with:

The North Face Verto S4K (736g ea)
La Sportiva Men's Trango Cube (675g ea)
Scarpa Charmoz OD (720g ea)
Scarpa Mantas (820g ea)
Salewa Condor EVO GTX (845g ea - old model)
Salewa Vulture (820g ea - new model)

All usual caveats about fit and suitability being most important etc. I'm just trying to work out what the options are, which at this time of year might be helpful for others.
 Pina 24 Oct 2016
In reply to pinnacle_pete:

Scarpa rebel lite (640g)?

That's what I would get if i was currently looking for boots. You looking for walking boots or boots you can spend 2 hours waiting at a belay in?
 r1ch79 24 Oct 2016

im a size 46 (10.5 in queens english) and I find the rebel light very bendy indeed

in fact they are bendier in every direction that the the Scarpa Rev......

I use Mantas and whilst a bit heavy they are bombprooof but the new Charmoz look really nice and if I was buying this year and didnt want the sportiva Nepal stuff then I would probably really consider them as an option

the Trango cube just look too light for serious scottish winter weather but I know next to nothing......but they did feel nice on in the shop!!!!

have a look at sportiva Nepals.....last year pretty much every instructor I saw at Gmore Lodge was wearing them.....
 ianstevens 24 Oct 2016
In reply to wannabeagoat:

> im a size 46 (10.5 in queens english) and I find the rebel light very bendy indeed

Note that all European made (i.e. Sportiva, Scarpa and Salwea) are made in Euro sizes and should be tried on as such as there is some conversion in the overlap - I *think* 8 aligns with both 42 and 43, which clearly are different sizes (as there made to this size scale) and hence have different fits.

> in fact they are bendier in every direction that the the Scarpa Rev......

> I use Mantas and whilst a bit heavy they are bombprooof but the new Charmoz look really nice and if I was buying this year and didnt want the sportiva Nepal stuff then I would probably really consider them as an option

> the Trango cube just look too light for serious scottish winter weather but I know next to nothing......but they did feel nice on in the shop!!!!

I have a pair of these which I find great in the Alps in summer. To cold in Scotland for my tastes, however my mate loves his and is perfectly warm in them in a Scottish Winter.

> have a look at sportiva Nepals.....last year pretty much every instructor I saw at Gmore Lodge was wearing them.....

This would be my vote - I use Baturas (same last but with added swanky gaiter to prevent snow ingress) and find them perfect, if a little warm at times.
 Johnsulli 25 Oct 2016

For what It's worth I have the Salewa Condors and have been happy with them so far, but don't really have any points of comparison. Got me up a fair few hills and up to grade 3 last year, relatively stiff for a B2 I think? I tended to loosen off the ankle a bit for some flex on walk ins.

Great boot for the price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...