Tent wanted - 4 sesaon 1 person light as possible....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r1ch79 21 Oct 2016
must be able to handle real crap weather in scottish/welsh winter and as I go alone as much as possible i really want it as light as possible and of course one which pitches outer first is really essential in UK conditions (if its not too crappy i tend to bivvi anyway)

I have a few ideas but I want to see if anything is reccomended that I havent looked at so all suggestions welcome to be honest

my current tent died.... (it was very cheap and in all honesty surpassed what im sure Mike Ashley intended it to be able to handle)

im happy to spend the right money on the right product....
 DaveHK 21 Oct 2016
In reply to wannabeagoat:
Does it need to be true 4 season i.e. capable of withstanding snow loading? If so it won't be particularly light and stipulating outer first/all in one pitching will limit your options.
Post edited at 16:29
OP r1ch79 21 Oct 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

this is the thing with all this stuff isnt it.....

the trade off......

i dont need a summer tent and it will be used throughtout jan feb and march in snowdonia and the lakes and scotland so potentially it will have hells own weather thrown at it

so I think yeah go geodesic so it can be pitched more or less anywhere without the spacial constraints a tunnel tent with guy lines requires....

but then I have pretty much binned the idea of an outer first pitching tent (or have I?)

Im sub 40 yrs old do triathlons and cycle and hill/mountain walk very regularly so I am fit (51 bpm resting heart rate) if not of superman build so I dont mind a little more weight than the lightest offering and accept the trade off between superlight and more durable.....

what I dont want to do is buy the wrong tent and I have been looking at this intermittently since last march and still cannot decide which is the right purchase and its getting to the point where I will need one soon as my current offering will be little more than a wet nylon blanket in anything more than 25 mph winds.....
OP r1ch79 21 Oct 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

fwiw I am looking favourably towards a MSR Hubba which depite not being sold as a 4 season would I think do the job

but its a lot of quids to spend without being certain
 HeMa 21 Oct 2016

The lightest I can think off, would be one of those single skin tents. Perhaps something like Crux X1 Raid. Really easy to pitch, as the poles are put on from the outside.

That said, some water and such might end up inside when you open the door, but then again that happens with about every tent I've known.
 TMM 21 Oct 2016
Might have just what you are looking for...
Tarptent Scarp 2 with solid inner & crossing poles.
http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html
I'm selling my Tarptent Scarp 2 which comes with the additional crossing poles and a solid inner. It comes with then revised flysheet that fits closer to the ground making it better for windblown rain/snow.
The additional crossing poles make the tent free-standing and capable of snow loading. As a two person tent and with two porches there is lots of space for one and additional winter kit. Pitches inner and outer together for fast, no faff pitch
The tent is fully complete but some of the pole clips are missing a little piece of plastic. The clips are like a glove retaining clip and spring back section has come off a couple of them. This makes NO difference to the performance of the tent as the poles are held in place just fine by the clip and the tension they are under.
No other damage.
The current $ to £ value makes buying one of these from Henry a more expensive proposition these days. $434 before shipping which is another $39 - $70. Total price is $473 - $504 (£371.83 - £396.20). On top that you will need to consider the 20% VAT when you ship it into the country. Factoring that in you are looking at an all in price of £455 - £485.
Last one listed on eBay was advertised for £350 + postage and that was for a Scarp 1.
Makes mine a bargain surely at £315 inclusive of recorded delivery or £295 with collection from Devon.
Drop me a line if you are interested and want some photos. All the technical details are on the Tarptent site.
Post edited at 16:54
 TobyA 21 Oct 2016

The classic Hubba is very definitely not a good 4 season tent. Powder snow goes under the too high fly and can get blown through the mesh inner. Even in non Scandinavian winter conditions it is cold inside because the mesh let's a breeze in. I've also snapped pegs hammering them in when it's well below zero. Hubba HP or whatever they are now called might be a better bet, I've found my normal Hubba has no problem in terms of snow loading.
 Andypeak 21 Oct 2016

Something by lightwave? The raid series are fairly light and 4 season
 thommi 21 Oct 2016

Rab superlight? I rate ours highly but may not be what you're looking for.
 thommi 21 Oct 2016
Should add thats the summit super light, not the shelter thing.
Post edited at 23:36
A mate had one (MSR Hubba Hubba) and it got flattened in a storm in Norway, neither of us were impressed. My Vango Spirit 200+ (tunnel with guy lines.....) held up fine. (and it's only 2.8kg) I know it's not what you're looking for.
Post edited at 23:46

Crux X1 Assault is a single skin just below 2 kg with a porch and three crossing poles. Pitched with two poles from the outside and one from the inside. Fabric is totally waterproof and has a way to manage condensation that works surprisingly well. I have just bought mine and used it for a week only, so my experience is limited. It was a rainy week by the Baltic Sea, but I saw/felt no condensation on the inside surface of the fabric. Some drops formed on the inner pole, but they did not drip, and my down sleeping bag stayed bone dry.
 Jon Read 22 Oct 2016

http://gb.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/solo-tents/

Any use? (Assuming you really are willing to spend the money)

My Akto, though surpassed by lighter 3 season copies now, is still going strong, though it wouldn't take a very heavy snow loading (how often would that really occur for you?).
 ben b 22 Oct 2016

Tried and tested would be a Macpac Minaret. Just over 2kg but palatial for one, decent porch, outer first, strong materials, cheaper than a Hilleberg etc.

e.g. http://www.needlesports.com/690/products/macpac-minaret-juniper.aspx

b
 Root1 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Stephan. I have used conventional single skinned tents in the uk and they do not suit our climate. Condensation is a big issue, I would be very interested in longer term reviews of this tent. Good video on youtube by the way.
 PeterM 22 Oct 2016
What about the Nordisk Telemark? I have this in mind if my Akto ever throws in the towel...
http://www.nordisk.eu/fgreen/products/tents/tents-detail/type/tents/categor...
Review here:
http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/review/new-review-nordisk-telemark-2-ultra-lig...
Post edited at 10:44
 pass and peak 22 Oct 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for that post, just ordered one, been looking for a cheaper alternate to the RAB Latok! summit
In reply to pass and peak:

Because of a RAP patent the current Crux X1 tents do not feature the donut loops for belaying. Maybe you already knew.
 Kahti 22 Oct 2016

Not used one myself but a friend has a hilleberg soulo that has accompanied him in all kinds of weather. From a trek across Iceland (where his partners Terra nova was torn to shreds) to a solo mission kayaking Scotland's coastline in winter then walking all the Munroe's, to exploring Patagonia. He has always used that tent and AFAIK it hasn't let him down. Which is about all the endorsement you could give a product!

Not cheap and not that light, but semi geodesic, outer first pitch and seemingly indestructible.
 bouldery bits 22 Oct 2016

Hilleberg Soulo.
 pass and peak 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Yeh I saw that, but I have a good sewing machine and for £150.00 less its worth the compromise
 Steve Perry 23 Oct 2016
In reply to wannabeagoat: Get a Terra Nova Laser Competition, weigh less than a kilo and are fine in winter.

Siward 23 Oct 2016

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/21-4-season

Their stealth tent also looks good enough for 4 seasons although billed as 3.

And Made in Scotland.
 jezb1 23 Oct 2016

I love my TN laser comp, but no way I'd want that in full on winter conditions. Flappy and bendy.

Personally I'd go for a slight compromise over a full on geodesic tent and go for something like a TN voyager and be careful how and where I'd pitch it.

The thought of carrying a full on winter fortress on my own just upsets me, doable for sure but ultimately not that pleasant.
 ben b 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Siward:

A website with no details and a tent that's not available?!

The Hilleberg idea is excellent if you can afford it, but the Minaret will be considerably cheaper. The TN Voyager is about the same price, but having slept in both (many years back) I think the Minaret just shades it on build, whilst the TN is obviously geodesic rather than tunnel.

b
 ben b 23 Oct 2016
Forgot to put out the wild card of the Stephenson's Warmlite 2R... http://warmlite.com/warmlite-climbers-two-person-tent/
2 person expedition tent at just over a kilo. Either works of art or a complete disaster for build depending on who you ask. Exchange rate is against you and single skin doors but can't argue with the weight!

cheers

b
Post edited at 10:49
 Steve Perry 23 Oct 2016
In reply to jezb1:

> I love my TN laser comp, but no way I'd want that in full on winter conditions. Flappy and bendy.

Not if you put lots of tension on the sleeve arch then the two ends.

OP r1ch79 24 Oct 2016

cheers for the pointers and suggestions

fwiw i was looking at the following but didnt wan to comment at top of post as what I really wanted was other suggestions and not the mertis or otherwise of what I am considering

HBerg Suolo & Unna
MHwear Direkt2
Rab Latok

however MSR have threw a cruve ball as their new range for sale next jan looks interesting with Access 1 and Advance Pro 2 bith comming in well under 2 kgs however first impressions of Access is that it doesnt hold up to wind as much as MSR may suggest.....

galpinos 24 Oct 2016
In reply to ben b:

Have you actually tried/got one? I've always been intrigued......
 ben b 24 Oct 2016
In reply to galpinos:
I haven't ,although I have had email contact with UK owners, who have been very positive.

They are really interesting, aren't they? Insanely light, but Mrs B is a very cold sleeper who hates drafts so the prospect of a single wall at each end with vents makes it a hard sell for me... 95% of the feedback I have heard / read has been good but the 5% online have been vocal (mostly one guy who fell out with the highly opinionated owner of the company, it would appear).

I think I worry about the fragility of the packed curved poles, something I don't give a second thought to with my Macpac Olympus, or ever did with prior geodesics.

I guess the post brexit exchange rate has stuffed warmlite sales to the UK. NZD has fared better but should have gone for it a year ago when 10% cheaper I guess!

B
OP r1ch79 24 Oct 2016

i havent no but they do shake the mix up a bit with their weights

thing is 12 months into public use the weaknesses will become more apprant and may be "fixed" by MSR

theres an intresting review from a group who used the access and they said it flattened easily in the wind due to the guy points being poorly located

silly things like that pee me off as surely this should have become apparant in testing

thing is our scottish winter is quite unique and i wish sutff would be tested on the plateau in a proper godam hoolie

the latok from what Ihad read is too short for me (im dead on 6 foot) the suolo is not light enought for a light tent and doesnt seem to snow load or deal with wind properly and the Unna doesnt have a decent porch meaning you may aswell for for a Direkt 2 but if the access worked well under snow and heavy wind for its weight it could be a big contender

just need some real life reviews and not MSR marketing blurb....

Siward 24 Oct 2016
In reply to ben b:

Plenty of details- explore the site.

You're right though the 4 season one does appear to have been discontinued.
 coolhand 24 Oct 2016
I got on really well with the Hubba HP, but it's still not quite low enough to the ground to be trouble free, I still have to bank up snow around the skirt a bit. It's held up in Cairngorm hoolies better than I have.
I didn't get on well with the Soulo at all, mainly because it weighs a ton and doesn't seem massively better than other tents for that weight penalty.

ben b 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Siward:

Thanks, will look on another machine. On my phone all I get is a photo and that they aren't taking orders!

B

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...