Moran Mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r1ch79 20 Oct 2016
Hi

Has anyone used the above company. Obviously Martins ability speaks for itself however I have used Glenmore Lodge in the past for winter stuff and was looking at a differing part of Scotland for this winter treat.....

I know the snow conditions are more guaranteed on the C'gorm plateau but I like the look of his winter mountaineering course esp the overnight in a snowhole which Glenmore dont offer......

Has anyone used Martin or either and would they be able to share some thoughts please?
 chrisdevon 20 Oct 2016
In reply to wannabeagoat:

I have enjoyed the New Year's Winter Skills course and then went on to book two weeks in Norway with Moran Mountaineering. Both experiences were excellent with superb guides, very good accommodation/food and a tailored, shared-input, approach to each day's activity choices. Cannot recommend them enough.
OP r1ch79 20 Oct 2016
In reply to chrisdevon:

Cheers

I think my big concern at the moment is spending the money hoping for some full winter weather and getting up NW Scotland in Feb to find warm balmy atlantic airmasses and very little snow at any levels

I know in the Cgorms that is unlikely.....

But I do very much fancy his course esp, as stated, with the snowhole overnight exped.....
 chrisdevon 20 Oct 2016

I'd send Martin an email about your concerns. I would expect them to go where the best conditions are, but can't speak from experience as we had decent snow coverage at New Year when I was up there. Torridon is amazing though I can't compare to the 'gorms due to lack of personal experience I'm afraid.
 SenzuBean 20 Oct 2016

I did Intro Winter Climber there last Feb. Weather was difficult, but we used it really well. Got one each of a grade I-IV in. We did very little leading (I “led” 2 pitches of the grade I) which was my only negative. But in saying that if I had led more easy stuff I would’ve missed out seconding harder more exciting stuff - so who knows what was better. Overall really enjoyed it. I think your concerns about fickle weather are valid, but that’s the game you have to play if you want to head North West.
 Michael Gordon 20 Oct 2016

Even a day slogging up a powdery grade I in the NW can be better than the umpteenth visit to the Northern Corries!
 colinakmc 20 Oct 2016

Not recent and not Scottish but I spent a fortnight with his company (and him, obviously) in the Alps in 2004 and had a great time. Good balance of coaching and enjoyment and they'd made sure the valley accommodation was really comfy. If I was ever going to go with a guide again I'd go back to him without hesitation.
 Y Gribin 20 Oct 2016
I did a course a couple of winters ago and Martin and his guides are pretty expert (as you'd expect) at finding conditions, whatever the weather. They even have a dry-tooling crag to hand. His location means he can reach several different areas - Torridon, Skye etc.
The NW is definitely different - be prepared for big days out, but big rewards as well.
The atmosphere of the accommodation and catering on Martin's course are second to none and well worth the effort. Life would be very boring if we all went to the Cairngorms year after year

P.S. my instinct (with no evidence whatsoever) is that it is better to wait till Feb/March rather than go up there in Dec/Jan.
Post edited at 18:05
 Tricadam 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Y Gribin:

I'd second much of the above.

I went on his Introductory Winter Climber course just under 4 years ago. I arrived having done some winter hillwalking, a couple of grade I gullies and absolutely no rock climbing and left having gained a lot of valuable experience and knowledge - and with some great days out - in spite of some rather challenging weather. Guide:client ratios were either 1:3 or 1:2. I had Martin for a couple of days and Ken Applegate for the others. Both superb.
 Sophie G. 21 Nov 2016

Martin & co. will give you a great time--no question, and no reservations about it.

When you think about some of the things you hear about guides and guiding companies in the Alps, in Scotland we don't know how lucky we are.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...