Current conditions in the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tintinandpip 19 Oct 2016
Heading out to the Alps ( Chamonix / Zermatt areas but flexible) at the end of the week any information on route conditions would be appreciated. Looking at conditions we have considered doing the west ridge of Salbitschijen as an alternative to ice / mixed routes. UKC log books shows an ascent in October 2014 (enjoyed Tom's blog of the ascent), how feasable is it at the moment ?
 Aigen 21 Oct 2016
In reply to tintinandpip:

I live in Innsbruck and we have snow above 1000 Meters.
 Misha 21 Oct 2016

Have a look at the Chamoniarde website. It's pretty dry and slim pickings for the mixed as far as I can tell and from reports from locals. Isn't the Salbit just under 3,000m so likely to have at least some snow cover. If the hut is still open, give them a ring. Dolomites would be a better bet.
OP tintinandpip 21 Oct 2016

That's pretty well what we have gleaned, very lean. We suspected Salbit was a bit ambition this late in the season but will give the hut a ring.
Thanks for the info.
Ps Enjoyed your Walker write up, I did it last year in exceptionally dry conditions, rock boots from bottom to top.
 Misha 21 Oct 2016
Cheers, yeah great route. Also did the Bonatti Oggioni on the Brouillard Red Pillar this trip, recommend it. Someone I know optimistically walked into the Jorasses a couple of weeks back and walked straight out. Hasn't got much better as far as I can see, otherwise I'd be there... Would love to do the Col Mac.
 Mike Pescod 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Misha:

I'm in the same position - my pal Donald and I have 12 days starting on Monday 31st October but it doesn't look like we'll get the big ice routes we wanted.

I've been wondering if Motorhead on Eldorado might work out though. It's at 2500m and south facing .... Eldorado

Any thoughts?

Mike
 jon 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Mike Pescod:

You might want to check if the Grimsel pass is open.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...