Korouoma advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 indigo 19 Oct 2016
I've heard this place is very good for ice climbing though maybe off the beaten track for UK based climbers. Anybody been ? Advice on how best to get there, where to stay - any other gems of advice to help get the most out of a trip. Thanks Mike
 HeMa 19 Oct 2016
In reply to indigo:
Been there numerous times, but maybe not really worth the effort from UK (Cogne and Alps in general or Norway are more easily accessed).

That said, it does about offer the best ice climbing in Finland (at least when it comes to access, amount and quality of lines). Most people rent a chalet from Posio and the drive to the "gorge" every morning... Of course, it's also only about 1.5h of driving from Rovaniemi as well.

As for getting there, a car is needed. For foreigners it's either a flight to Rovaniemi or Kuusamo and rent a car from there... or a night train to Rovaniemi and then renting a car.

There is a really basic hut up for rent at the bottom of the gorge (close to Ruskeavirta), that I've stayed a few times.

For season, generally Dec onwards (but it can be thin at the start of the season) until about late March (when things start to get really soggy and unconsolidated).

Oh, here's some pics of the stuff available in Korouoma:
http://www.rollomixed.com/search/label/korouoma
Post edited at 12:41
 TobyA 19 Oct 2016
In reply to indigo:

It's a long way from most places! From the UK you'd fly over much better places to get there, but if already in Finland then worth a visit maybe. My visit was on Finnish independence day, 6th December, ice still wet and chewy despite -15 day temperature. Made abseiling very dangerous because the ropes iced up more than I have ever seen anywhere else.
 HeMa 19 Oct 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> My visit was on Finnish independence day, 6th December, ice still wet and chewy despite -15 day temperature. Made abseiling very dangerous because the ropes iced up more than I have ever seen anywhere else.

Next time, pick a steeper line up Ruskea and you'll be fine. No icing up, as the steeper pillars are normally a bit drier than the tourist route .
 TobyA 19 Oct 2016
In reply to HeMa:

When I did it it had only touched down on the right, so you had to go that way. I remember being pretty terrified - probably some of the most sustained vertical ice I've climbed. But it was actually the day before on Mammutti where the ropes got totally iced up.
OP indigo 20 Oct 2016
In reply to indigo:

Thanks for the replies guys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...