Re-sealing a boot rand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So on an old pair of hiking boots I use at work the rand is coming away at the toes. It's not that bad but it's letting water in, what's the best way to seal it? I was just guna superglue them but now I'm wondering if the flexing of the boot would just kill the seal pretty quickly... Cheers!
 zimpara 18 Oct 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Same issue on my B2s. Just gonna superglue the rand back, as it's a stiff sole.
No idea about yours but here's a bump.
 Siward 18 Oct 2016

shoegoo? It has its uses and is good for building up a sole but I'm not sure its such a good adhesive.

http://eclecticproducts.com/products/shoe-goo.html
 Toerag 18 Oct 2016

Sikaflex 291 would probably do the job admirably. Or maybe Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure if you can't get a sikaflex nozzle in? I've not used CTCCC, but I have used sikaflex for other things. It's ridiculously sticky stuff - you can't peel it off things like you can do with silicone bathroom sealant. It is also incredibly strong, if you use it to bond two items together, invariably one will break if you try to pull them apart. Be warned - it has 'breeding properties' - get a blob on your finger, wipe it off on something. You now miraculously have the same volume on your finger as you started with, plus an equal amount on whatever you wiped it on!
 mp3ferret 18 Oct 2016

Barbour flexiblr urethane repair :

http://www.smythscountrysports.co.uk/products/aquasure-flexible-urethane-re...

Great stuff - I've got some on some old boots and its held up for > 5 years
 Wry Spudding 18 Oct 2016

McNett Freesole. Make sure the area to be glued is clean and dry. Give it a light rub with sandpaper. Glue and compress into place (I wrapped my boots in tape). Leave to cure (>24hrs?) before removing tape
 markk 18 Oct 2016

'Evo stick impact adhesive' works well.

I have a pair of Scarpa Phantom Guides that I left a little too close to a bothy fire while trying to get them dry for the next day on the hill. The rand expanded and began pealing away from the boot. A healthy dose of superglue has fixed it and you'd hardly notice it had been done. Used them the majority of last winter like this with crampons. Still going strong!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...