Failure of polartec neoshell (aka expensive waterproof)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CrowdLeader 16 Oct 2016
After recent reading, I am relieved to say my coat is not by Rab but is Montane Fast Alpine Stetch. https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/clothing-c25/waterproof-jackets-c11/fast-...

Their customer service has been fantastic! After providing them with proof of purchase they sent me collection details and had offered me a replacement within 5 days.

Moving on to the real point, the failure occurred at the join between the hard wearing shoulder pads main fabric. My thoughts were that the lack of stretch on the reinforcing fabric may have created an increase in strain on the neoshell material immediately next to the pads.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLogA0FB4s2/?taken-by=crowdleader
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLohtyChaQz/?taken-by=crowdleader

So as someone who wears a bag daily, will the same thing just happen again? should i glue/stitch a pleat across it? should i replace it with a less expensive one without the shoulder patches?

r1ch79 20 Oct 2016
In reply to CrowdLeader:

problem with lots of kit these days is that its become more a fashion item for your weekend walker round ambleside and not necessarily tested by people proper trudging with a half decent weight on their back for a few days in proper god awful weather.......

I find this esp with jackets where there are frankly more designs than is necessary all with different fabrics offering differing weights and water resistance

its not hard to make a proper jacket

ingredients list as follows

gore text pro

built like a brick outhouse so it works and lasts more than a week....

and tested properly
 r1ch79 20 Oct 2016
In reply to CrowdLeader:

for what its worth and ton continue a semi gripe

I have had and still have a mera peak II straightforward Gor Tex (not acitve not pro just gods honest gore tex)

the jacket is bloody bombproof

yeah it 400g heavier than my NF gt pro but it has withstood blizzard in the cairn gorms and the devil himself thinks twice before having a go at it.........

light is not always better not that you stated that it was but build like the bloody romans and build stuff to last..........
 GarethSL 20 Oct 2016
In reply to wannabeagoat:

I think the problem is that we have entered a age of over engineering in outerwear, with an obsession towards light weight and more breathable garments. At the expense of durability, water proofing and longevity.

Quite frankly 90% of the outerwear available nowadays is intended to last a season or two at most. Hence why manufacturers constantly update and change products year after year with un-necessary alterations. Probably to suit the consumer mindset of the average dog walker.

I long for gear that has 1980/90's durability with 2000's streamlined patterning and construction. But of course that's too much to ask.
 BnB 20 Oct 2016
In reply to GarethSL:
I like superlight breathable waterproofs, which I'm happy to see last for only a year or so. Petrol, flights, lift passes and accommodation all add up to a far greater expense than a new hardshell every 18 months. I appreciate that not everyone shares the same perspective, but don't make the mistake of believing that only dog walkers like lightweight membranes. Nor am I kidding myself that I'm some Patagonia "athlete", I'm more of a beer "ambassador"
Post edited at 12:26
 Root1 20 Oct 2016
In reply to BnB:

If you want durability repairability and reproofability, then buy a fcuking paramo.😀😆
 neuromancer 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Root1:

But not if you actually want it to be waterproof, or breathable, or not it's own non removable insulating layer.

Some people like those things I guess?
 Siward 21 Oct 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

If Paramo is one thing, it is breathable, unlike my stout 90s goretex which is sort of breathable if you imagine as much but, crucially, is not close to wearing out yet.
 Andypeak 21 Oct 2016
In reply to neuromancer:
> But not if you actually want it to be waterproof, or breathable, or not it's own non removable insulating layer.

> Some people like those things I guess?

My Paramo is very breathable and I've never got wet even in the worst of weather. It is bloody warm though
Post edited at 10:00
 Timmd 22 Oct 2016
In reply to BnB:

It's not especially 'green' though, for products to only last a season or 2.
 Timmd 22 Oct 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

> I long for gear that has 1980/90's durability with 2000's streamlined patterning and construction. But of course that's too much to ask.

I guess the solution might be to approach somebody like Scottish Mountain Gear with a light weight jacket in a good pattern and ask them to make one out of something more durable?

There's other companies around I gather who'll custom make waterproof clothing.
 BnB 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> It's not especially 'green' though, for products to only last a season or 2.

Fair point. But as I pointed out that petrol, lift passes and flights and accommodation are all bigger expenses for a busy climber, the green-ness* of your jacket shouldn't be overvalued.

*Recycling footnote. BnB's standards are high and his cast-offs still excellent. A good few UKCers will attest to the quality of his pre-tested outdoor clothing that they acquired via the For Sale forum. As do his well-equipped offspring
 ianstevens 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Root1:

> If you want durability repairability and reproofability, then buy a fcuking paramo.😀😆

But the OP wants to stay dry!
 Timmd 23 Oct 2016
In reply to BnB:

It was more of a grumpy pondering on consumerism than my being critical of you.
 BnB 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Timmd:

No personal slight was perceived. It was a good point to make

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...