Winter Hiking Boots - Scarpa Vs La Sportiva or other?!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Renfrew1 14 Oct 2016
Ok not really looking at climbing just yet just hikes and maybe touch on winter scrambles this year.

Just looking at peoples advice and opinions on what decent winter boot i should get. I understand to look for best fits etc and have tried a few on but just wondering what the people think?!?

danm 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Renfrew1:

A B1 boot will be ideal for what you want to do now, and are usually more comfortable (more flex) than a B2 boot. A B2 boot will be more future-proof with regards to your future ambitions though, and as boots are expensive and thus tend to be an investment for the medium term.....

Other than that, buy the pair that fit you best based on the category you choose. When it comes to boots, fit is everything.
 Tricadam 25 Oct 2016
In reply to danm:

Agree with danm's comments, especially re fit.

If you want to go B2, you could do a lot worse than the La Sportiva Trango Cube. I got these 3 years ago to replace my summer leather boots on the basis that their seams are covered in plastic, making them more waterproof for our lovely Scottish climate. (Ironically, they're designed for summer Alpinism!) Three years and many Munros later, they're still going strong - and dry. Very lightweight, climb well and will take a C2 crampon. I've used them in winter and my feet don't get cold, though I wouldn't want to do belay duty with them on. They'd be fine for winter walking so long as you had a reasonably thick pair of socks on. Available in half sizes by mail order. But if they don't fit, don't get them.
 JohnnyW 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Renfrew1:

If going for an occasional boot, Scarpa SL Active as a B1. Bulletproof. On my umpteenth pair (but used to be just the plain SL)
If moving up to B2, the Scarpa Manta is the go-to boot IMO.
OP Renfrew1 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Renfrew1:

Thanks for all the advice guys. Going to try grab a pair this weekend. Leaning towards the B2 Scarpa Men's Charmoz Mountain Boots as they fitted well but will see.

Cheers!
 Duncan Beard 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Renfrew1:

In my experience La Sportiva are better with narrow ankles & 'square' medium to wide feet like I have. Scarpa will be better with bulky ankles & 'sloping off' toes.

I also have some North Face B2 boots (Verto S4K?) that have beautifully sculpted narrow ankles, fit like a glove, no heel lift at all. They are as flexible in the forefoot as most B1s however. I was going to get some Trango Cubes but the NFs came up at a great price, are very light & have been really good, apart from descending steep snow/ice in crampons when facing in, because of the flex.
OP Renfrew1 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Renfrew1:

Ok and if you were looking at summer Alps would you look at B3 only? I Was looking at a few pairs of B2 but they may not perform heat wise as well above 4000 meters hey.....
 Steve Woollard 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Renfrew1:

I'd only consider using a B3 boot if I was climbing steep ice, and even then I might go for the La Sportiva Trango Cube Ice.

The B rating is for stiffness not warmth. I've used several different B2 boots over 4000m in the Alps in the summer and have never had a problem with cold feet
 Tricadam 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Woolly:

> I'd only consider using a B3 boot if I was climbing steep ice, and even then I might go for the La Sportiva Trango Cube Ice.

I disagree. Forefoot stability is, if anything, even more important for mixed than for ice, as you can be standing around on a single monopoint for ages digging out the next moves and/or placing gear: far longer than on ice where you'll always have two feet on and shouldn't be hanging around longer than it takes to place a screw - which you should try to avoid doing on the steepest sections anyway. My Nepal Extremes have now developed extreme flex in the forefoot - admittedly after many mountain miles. I noticed because it was unusually pumpy hanging around on monopoints on a reasonably steep mixed route recently. So much easier now I've got new B3s (the Nepal Cubes).
 Arete 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

Agree, I use my Nepals at the earliest opportunity (i.e. as soon as there's snow on the ground). The advantage for Op to get a B3 (or more likely B2 for their level) is that both C1 (e.g. G10) and C2 (G12) crampons will fit, and that'll cover everything most of us mere mortals will want to do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...