Snowdonia with a baby backpack carrier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 manicpb 07 Oct 2016
We've got two nights free accommodation in Llanberis during the last week of October. Sounds great but we will have our 10 month old son with us so we've got to think about him rather than listen to our hearts and choose an appropriate summit to tackle. He'll be in a backpack carrier, I'll prob get him on the way up and alternate him with his mom on the way down.

This is our first time on this kind of terrain with him, anyone been in this position before and any tips?

If the wind is low and temps ok we will prob go for the Llanberis path up Snowdon, any ideas if conditions aren't optimal?

Obviously if its poor weather we'll hit the slate mine railway or something...again any suggestions?
 balmybaldwin 07 Oct 2016
In reply to manicpb:

Be wary that whilst you and Mum are getting hot and bothered by the effort of walking up your little one won't. I recall a baby getting hypothermia in a similar situation a few years ago so make sure you wrap little one up well and check temps regularly
 Mark Kemball 07 Oct 2016
In reply to manicpb:

Cnicht from Nanmor or Moel Siabod - somewhat shorter and not so high, lovely walks. As said above, make sure the babe stays warm and give some thought as to how you'll tackle a shitty nappy if it starts to blow hard.

Other possibilities - low level walks in the Beddgelert area or walk round Llyn Idwal from Ogwen.
abseil 07 Oct 2016
In reply to manicpb:

> ...Obviously if its poor weather we'll hit the slate mine railway or something...again any suggestions?

When the N.Wales mountain weather is bad, I've found that other options for families get horribly overcrowded! So I head for Gogarth/ South Stack to walk or climb - if the weather's OK over there.
 David Alcock 07 Oct 2016
In reply to manicpb:

When my oldest lad was twelve months we did the Horseshoe, and Tryfan, Bristly Ridge etc. It was July though. In snow, make sure they're wrapped up very warm. A good carrier with straps that prevent them total falling out is a must. Have fun.
OP manicpb 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Thanks for those suggestions. Really I'm looking for an alternative to Snowdon as I don't fancy the relatively boring slog up the Llanberis path so will look at Cnicht...although the photo of my little lad at the summit of Snowdon would be one for the milestone book!

Thanks to everyones else's comments too, got most things mentioned covered but good to get it reiterated.

Any more suggestions on hills or advice from experience is welcomed.
 Mark Kemball 07 Oct 2016
In reply to manicpb:

Cnicht from Gelli-lago, with a possible diversion to take in Llynnau Cerrig-y-myllt is very pleasant. Descend via Llyn yr Adar and Llyn Llagi. A lovely walk, if you want to go further, descend via Llyn Edno instead.

If you really want to climb Snowdon, the south ridge from Nant Gwynant is much more pleasant than the Llanberis path, descend via the Watkin path.

Enjoy!
 jonfun21 07 Oct 2016
In reply to manicpb:
Couple of things you may want to consider:

- Walking poles, I don't generally use them but they were a god send for both up and downhill
- Make sure you have a decent cover (we had the LittleLife one which is a full enclosure (little one is effectively in a tent)) as wind was a big issue
- Change their nappy before you get them in (forgot this one time only have to unbundle them 30 mins later, which takes quite a time)
- Ensure your route has some get out/turn back points and you evaluate situation at each of them (we turned back near top of Helvelyn on one occasion as it was getting late and knew it would take longer to decend)
- Plan for them not to be in the carrier all day (e.g. at 10 months you will need to get them out and let them wriggle about etc throughout the day) and better to do a shorter walk and them enjoy it than have them screaming for the last 2 hours to get back to the car
- Take two complete changes of clothes....accidents do and will happen!
- Have a range of food ready (depending on stage you are at) with stuff you can feed them whilst in an out of the carrier
- Watch out for trees and low branches in the valleys.....came close to clonking my eldest
- Have a practice at home to get a feel of how it feels having that weight on your back (also other person will end up carrying more than normal) also chance for little one to get use to it.
- Enjoy! Both our ours loved being in their and seeing the world!

This is based on a having walked with two lots of 8 - 12 month olds in a carrier.
Post edited at 16:54
 Dr.S at work 07 Oct 2016
In reply to jonfun21:

take a bothy bag big enough for all - if you need to address clothing/poo/wee/food issues in poor weather then this will make life much easier.
 toad 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Cnicht is a fantastic short walk to a proper atmospheric summit.
llechwedd 09 Oct 2016
In reply to manicpb:

It might sound daft, but, as the ground's getting wetter at this time of year, I'd advise you make sure your footwear is good for treading through soggy bits.
If you're a plodder, the issue doesn't arise, but having to bog hop because you don't like your feet getting wet does tend to jolt the child on your back . Sometimes, the Cnicht path from Gelli Iago can get a bit wet...
OP manicpb 25 Oct 2016
In reply to manicpb:

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

We chose not to tackle anything to adventurous, cloud and low temps weren't favorable, but had a cracking time on the lake railway and slate museum. On the way home we stopped off in Llandudno and tackled the Great Orme, he was golden in his backpack carrier and even napped on the way back down. It was the first trig point our little lad's visited and we've got the photo to cherish. Bring on next year when he may go a little higher...as long as he doesn't pile the pounds on!!!
 timjones 26 Oct 2016
In reply to manicpb:
> Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

> We chose not to tackle anything to adventurous, cloud and low temps weren't favorable, but had a cracking time on the lake railway and slate museum. On the way home we stopped off in Llandudno and tackled the Great Orme, he was golden in his backpack carrier and even napped on the way back down. It was the first trig point our little lad's visited and we've got the photo to cherish. Bring on next year when he may go a little higher...as long as he doesn't pile the pounds on!!!

By this time next year he will most likely be happily toddling around and you'll be enjoying his own explorations close to the car. Don't rush to haul him up big hills, cherish the fleeting opportunity to see the lowland world through a child's eyes
Post edited at 08:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...