Tharpu chuli (tent peak) in October 2017 anyone interested?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JD_87 07 Oct 2016

Hi guys, I'm planning my trip to Annapurna sanctionary with climbing Tent peak for next year. I'm planning to go solo and hire one guide over there. If anybody is interested to join me and share the costs of permit and guide, you are more than welcome. At the moment my budget for everything including the flights is between 1200 - 1500 £.

Any info, suggestions or other input from people who already been there are more than welcome!

I class myself as an experienced hiker. Love winter hiking. Climbed half way to Mt. Blanc, (had to turn back due to bad weather and was solo). Nr. 4 gully on the Ben in winter. Snowdon. Rock climbing grade about F6c. Know how to hold the rope!

Tharpu Chuli
In reply to JD_good_energy:

I climbed it about 20 years ago independently, with a couple of friends having only one days alpine experience and a few days of welsh winter climbing experience. It is pretty straight forward but we all really noticed the altitude, even though it is small by Himalayan standards. Great experience though for a first trip to Nepal. Get in touch if you have any specific questions.
OP JD_87 07 Oct 2016
In reply to mountain.martin:

As far as I know nowadays you got to have a guide with you, otherwise you won't get a permit and It adds to your safety as well.
My main concern is cravases, is there a lot of glacier crossing involved?

thanks,
JD
 JJL 07 Oct 2016

I'm interested.

But you'll have to lose the "good_energy" tag from your name - just a bit tooo "dude", dude, if you catch me.

Oh. And I've done it.

But, hey, have a bump.
OP JD_87 07 Oct 2016
In reply to JJL:

I am full of good energy and believe me you don't want me to lose it!

The main glacier you cross from Annapurna base camp is (was 20 years ago) dry and covered in rubble, easy and safe to cross, the most dangerous part of the ascent was scrambling up the loose morraine, on the far side, but as long as there is no one above you (very unlikely) dislodging rocks, that shouldn't be a problem.
 toad 07 Oct 2016
In reply to JD_good_energy: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Tharpu chuli Fhtagn!

Damo 07 Oct 2016

> As far as I know nowadays you got to have a guide with you, otherwise you won't get a permit

You do not need a 'guide' for this or any peak in Nepal. Though there have been government pronouncements about such things, they are just pronouncements.

As it is on the list of official Trekking Peaks, you *do* require a Sirdar, but that is mainly to organise the porters and sort things out on the way into/out of BC.

Many people posing as 'guides' in Nepal are nothing of the sort, as was shown in the big storm of 2014. Their inexperience and incompetence can be dangerous, so you really need to check with the agency you use, that if you do hire a guide, they have experience and recommendations. Agencies will be keen to put a guide on your trip as it's one more service they can get paid for - whether you need or want one is up to you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...