Short Lake District Objective

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.wahab 29 Sep 2016
Hi all,

I am a member of the Expedition Society at Exeter University and we're heading up to the Lakes in a couple of weekends time to do Striding and Swirral edge. We only have a weekend to get stuff done, and so we're trying to think of a good shorter (3-4 hr) walk/scramble/objective to a do on the Sunday before the long drive back to Exeter. I thought it would be good to ask on here on behalf of the trip leaders to get the infinite wisdom of UKC on board to recommend in some cracking Lake district scenery. Preferably the route will be near to or south of Patterdale (i.e. on the way home).

Look forward to hearing your suggestions!
In reply to joe.wahab:

The obvious ones are Sharp Edge on Blencathra or Pinacle Ridge on St Sunday Crag
 Billhook 29 Sep 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

I thought an Expedition Society would be best placed to work that one out for youselves?
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

sharp edge is a good shout, though its in the far north.

perhaps jacks rake up langdale? then wander round to the top of harrison sickle for the view, that's more central lakes. doable in 4 hours from the New Dungeon Ghyll.
In reply to paul_the_northerner:
> sharp edge is a good shout, though its in the far north.

Good point. I suppose a home trip could be via the A66

Pinacle on the other hand is a little closer.
Post edited at 22:16
 Skyfall 29 Sep 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

Sharp Edge is a few hour half day 'expedition' and, though in the north, a quick jaunt across the A66 onto the M6.
 bouldery bits 29 Sep 2016

> perhaps jacks rake up langdale? then wander round to the top of harrison sickle for the view, that's more central lakes. doable in 4 hours from the New Dungeon Ghyll.

+1 for this. Have a good one!

OP joe.wahab 29 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

I mean it's called the Expedition Society, it's just camping, rambling and pubs mainly with a few more 'serious' trips every now and then. Friendly bunch in the main. I have no first hand knowledge of the area at all, I have heard of a few classics of the area (Striding Edge, Jack's rake) but not much that fit with a shorter objective. I get the impression there isn't much appetite for two harder days but I want to pack in as much into the weekend as I can, I may try and persuade a few to go for Jack's rake especially after the recommendations on here. Cheers folks!
 MonkeyPuzzle 29 Sep 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

I recommend 4hrs in The Sun in Coniston before your journey back. Maybe not for the driver though.
 Wainers44 30 Sep 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

I'd suggest Halls Fell on Blencathra. Far better than Sharp Edge. Use one of the quiet ridges down, say Doddick Fell? You are right on the A66 so can hit the lovely M6 pretty quickly. Its also a route slightly better suited to a bigger group?
 GrahamD 30 Sep 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

Trying to drive anywhere from where you are camping in the time you have Sunday and then doing a longish route on Blencathra is extremely optimistic IMO. In the few hours you have and assuming you are Patterdale based I'd look at one of the valleys up towards Dollywagon Pike, or Red Srees from Kirkstone or Place Fell just the other side of Ullswater.

Scrambly stuff that is good for a quick 3-4 hour day is a bit thin on the ground, but Pinnacle Rib on St Sunday crag might suit if you really get your skates on.
 GrahamD 30 Sep 2016

> perhaps jacks rake up langdale? then wander round to the top of harrison sickle for the view, that's more central lakes. doable in 4 hours from the New Dungeon Ghyll.

Unfortunately Great Langdale is not so doable in short time from Patterdale ! Otherwise not a bad call provided it isn't too large a group
 Ramblin dave 30 Sep 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

It obviously depends on how fast your group is, but the direct routes up and down Blencathra are really pretty short days - I've definitely done it in time for a pub lunch, and I'm not an early riser. Threlkeld -> Halls Fell -> Blease Fell -> Threlkeld and Scales -> Sharp Edge -> Scales Fell -> Scales both ought to be doable in three to four hours if you're anywhere near Naismith pace, although Sharp Edge could be a lot slower if you end up inching along it on all fours in the wet or something.
 GrahamD 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Have to admit its been a while and I probably wasn't looking for the short option but I've always remembered Blencathra being a much longer day than that. If it is that short then not a bad shout provided the driver is happy with the mileage from there home.
 petegunn 05 Oct 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

Would definitely go for Sharp Edge on Blencathra as it is a very good short day.
If staying in Patterdale you can take the road (A509) by Aira Force and drive over to Blencathra, 30mins.
Afterwards its a simple drive east on the A66 to Penrith and M6.
Would add a word of caution though as Sharp Edge can be very slippery and quite dangerous if wet.

Mike Peacock 06 Oct 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

Not a scramble, but a good little round near Patterdale would be straight up Middle Dodd from the north (steep!), on to Red Screes, round to Little Hart Crag and down over High Hartsop Dodd. Park in a layby at the bottom of the Kirkstone Pass. Views are great, and you can always skirt Red Screes if short of time.

Another good short local day would be up Glenridding Dodd and Sheffield Pike, and down via Glencoyne. Or up Place Fell, down via Scalehow Beck and home along the shores of Ullswater.
In reply to joe.wahab:

The Dark Slabs on Greenhow End is not only the best scramble in the Patterdale area, it is also one of the very finest in the whole of the Lake District.
mattlee 07 Oct 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:
Its not on your way south but what about Sharp Edge on Blencathra ? (Only about 20-30 Mins north of Patterdale) via the A592 and A5091.

Up Sharp Edge and back down Scales Fell ?. I've done it myself in about 3.5 Hours. From there you can get to the M6 easy enough when you've done !.

It'll be a bit longer drive back but well worth it in my humble opinion. Either way, enjoy you're weekend.
Post edited at 15:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...