MTB fork travel advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 20 Sep 2016
Ive got a full sus (Cube AMS 125) bike thats suitable for 120-140mm travel range and currently have a RS recon gold (set at its maximum travel of 120mm) but Im wondering if it would make any useful difference for the extra cost of getting a new fork?
Thanks for reading.
 ChrisJD 20 Sep 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

Suspension can always be improved...

What's your budget, new or 2nd hand.
 quirky 20 Sep 2016

Longer travel wont make much difference, certainly not as much difference as plush travel. Spend your money on the quality of the fork rather than the travel!
 ChrisJD 20 Sep 2016
In reply to quirky:

.... longer plush travel is always the answer

Is that a 26" wheel or 650B bike?

My standard answer to these sort of fork upgrades Q is Rock Shox Pikes, but depends PesPos budget and wheel size ... and riding style. Might even get away with a 150mm set up with low air and depending on he can tweak the cockpit, stem, bars, stack etc
OP The Potato 20 Sep 2016
as expected already got some conflicting suggestions
probably 2nd hand air fork 26" 9mm qr - not that it should matter to the amount of travel.
The Recon feels pretty smooth and has nice rebound settings to be fair, ive had a Reba dual air before and wasnt impressed, this is much more solid.
Post edited at 12:34
 ChrisJD 20 Sep 2016
What's your budget for a pair of 2nd hand forks?

Can you convert your hub to a thru axle?

And what tires and pressures do you run - makes a massive difference to suspension feel. Can you go tubeless?
Post edited at 12:40
In reply to ChrisJD:

probably no more than £150 2nd hand, cant convert it no. Tyres are 2.35" and usually 22/26psi tubeless.
Ive got it set up to suit my riding style, Im just curious to know what others think about travel length and how important it is for non DH riding.
My hardtail has a 130mm fork, but thats a completely different setup and I cant really compare the two - also steerer diameter is different so cant swap them over, and I dont think an extra 10mm would be noticable.
 ChrisJD 20 Sep 2016

With the same fork 'performance'/ quality, but longer travel then setting up the bike at the longer end of its recommended travel range (maybe plus little, lol) will bring more riding smiles I reckon. Its always been the case when I've done it on past bikes.

... Unless you are a die hard weight obsessed XC junkie who only likes uphill pain - then ignore everthing I just said
In reply to ChrisJD:
hmm yes i forgot about that I do like uphills but not bothered about weight really, I know some fancy forks have a travel adjust option but I dont think I could afford that at present, ill probably save up for that on the next bike

Ok to so to ask my original question in a different way - why would I choose a 120mm fork over a 140mm or 140mm over 160mm etc?
Post edited at 12:57
 ChrisJD 20 Sep 2016

Comfort, traction, fun, line choice options, bigger margin for error, improved DH speed (may deplete previous gain, lol), higher front end, looking more Enduro and less XC?

But I'm probably not the right chap to ask as it would never occur to me to run less travel than I could...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...