Edelrid mega jul causing rope twist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KTC 19 Sep 2016

Has anyone else found the mega jul causes rope twist when lowering a lead climber?
The device is being used on a single 10mm rope, with the supplied screwgate it was sold with.
If my buddy leads, I'm using a reverso. No rope twist. If I lead the same climb on the same rope, she's using a mega jul to belay me and there suddenly seems to be loads of rope twist between the rope bag and the Jul when she's lowering me off.
Is it the device? Something she's doing?
Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: forgot to mention: sport climbing.
Post edited at 16:56
 Andypeak 19 Sep 2016
In reply to KTC:

I don't think the mega jul twists the rope but it doesn't allow any twist to pass through it when lowering so it pushes all the twists along the rope.
OP KTC 19 Sep 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:
Interesting thought, thanks. Am I the only person this annoys? It's a real pain in the arse!
 Andypeak 19 Sep 2016
In reply to KTC:

T'is very annoying. My only suggestion is to try and get all of the twists out of you rope. I absailed down the road infant of my house with the mega jul which pushed all the twists out. I did look rate odd though.
 SenzuBean 19 Sep 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:

> I absailed down the road infant of my house

I'm shocked by your blatant disregard for street children. :/

MrRossy 19 Sep 2016
In reply to KTC:

I noticed the same when I used the megajul with a brand new rope (9.5mm). As Andy says it seems to straighten out the rope and push all the twists to the end. After about 12 climbs on the rope and pulling the all the rope through the chains a few times I've not had it happen again. Megajul's great; really comes into its own when belaying doubles.
 discosucks 25 Sep 2016
I can see this happening alright , i got mine free with my rope but dont use it , I can se its possible advantage with sport climbing but its a pain to use for anything else , especially abseiling .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...