m43 -dead end?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malk 16 Sep 2016

not that much smaller than dslr, can get smaller cameras with larger APS-C sensors etc
is it the betamax of digital formats?
Post edited at 17:29
 planetmarshall 16 Sep 2016
In reply to malk:

Quite a lot smaller and lighter if you're lugging it and accompanying lenses up an Alpine route - just ask Jon Griffith.

In any case, it's not really a good analogy as the Betamax was a technologically superior format that subsequently dominated professional video (in the form of BetaCam) prior to DV.
OP malk 16 Sep 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

has JG moved to m43 then?
OP malk 19 Sep 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

thanks- interesting. i also have the EM-5 and love using it
wonder if he uses for astro tho?
 d_b 19 Sep 2016
In reply to malk:

I think the 4/3 sensor has a great future in high end compact cameras. Not convinced about the mirrorless system cameras though - Sony seem to do it better.
 stp 19 Sep 2016
In reply to malk:

There's not much difference in size between APS-C and m4/3 so I wouldn't choose a camera based on that difference. There's no big advantage to either one. The slightly more square format of m43 allows slightly smaller lenses.

If one of those isn't large enough then really the choice is between those and full frame. Full frame is good for low light, blowing up images to a very large size and a shallow depth of field. This is offset by the size and price of lenses, plus the fact sometimes a longer DOF is desirable. Probably depends to some degree on what you're shooting. Some professionals are now using m4/3, so for general use the image quality is very good.

The analogy with betamax isn't that good since with an lens adapter you can use any lens on m4/3 (though the AF may not work). I think the lens selection is increasing all the time and m4/3 cameras are very popular. With both Olympus and Panasonic behind them I don't think they'll go away any time soon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...