Looking for tips on B2 boots purchase

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fenda 14 Sep 2016
I'm taking up a winter mountaineering course in Scotland over the new year with a view to do some summer alpine mountaineering in future. Looking to get boots that I can use for both. I've been told to get B2 boots for the course in Scotland and we'll doing Grade I/II climbing, scrambling and a ridge traverse.

I understand that its difficult to get something warm for winter and cool for summer but I'm pretty anal about weight so looking for something on the lighter side. Hoping gaiters, good socks and plenty of movement will keep my feet warm in the Scottish winter.

Here are the current contenders:

- La Sportiva Trango S EVO
- Mammut Magic GTX
- Scarpa Charmoz

Looking for feedback on these and other suggestions. Thanks in advance!
 top cat 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Fenda:

You could add Aku [various models] to the list. Light, and the most comfy boots I've ever owned. Which brings us to the most important thing: fit. Scarpa boots just don't work for me, no matter how good on paper.
Other consideration is crampon fit. Happy with full strap-on, or need a heel ledge for a rear clip?
 d_b 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Fenda:

Get the one that fits. Any other decision will result in misery.

I have the La Sportivas, and they work v well for me. If they fit you then Asolo boots are also worth a look.

ChrisH89 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Fenda:

I have Scarpa Rebel Lites, and would definitely recommend if they fit. Used for Scottish winter up to grade III 4 (would work fine for at least a couple more grades) and summer alpine and found them ideal for both. Occasionally get chilly feet on particularly long belay waits in Scotland but nothing that a belay dance can't sort out!
 BnB 14 Sep 2016
In reply to ChrisH89:

> I have Scarpa Rebel Lites, and would definitely recommend if they fit. Used for Scottish winter up to grade III 4 (would work fine for at least a couple more grades) and summer alpine and found them ideal for both. Occasionally get chilly feet on particularly long belay waits in Scotland but nothing that a belay dance can't sort out!

I use these on most low grade (ie <IV) outings and certainly any faster moving days out. You'll notice the absence of weight on your feet and they scramble beautifully in summer so you'll get full use out of them. They have a heel and toe welt for for flexible fitting options but they need a flex bar to work best with a C2 crampon.
 GrahamD 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Fenda:

See up post. Fit is by far and away the most important thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...