Ski xmas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 13 Sep 2016
Normally I would avoid ski resorts over the festive season due to the crowds, but this year I will be a free agent with no obligatory dinners or unwrapping of presents to attend. So I thought I might get away. But where to go? Is there anywhere that won't be crazy busy?
 alasdair19 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

depends on snow. last year in alps was dire almost no snow. I would leave it till December to book as you'll be paying a premium which was definitely not worth it last year. alternatively head to Japan where it always seems to be powder season.
 DaveHK 13 Sep 2016

Go east or high for Christmas skiing. Or do as alasdair suggests and wait for a late deal if the conditions are good. But don't expect to get it cheap. My experience of the last few years is that the prices don't drop until truely last minute and even then not by much.
 inboard 13 Sep 2016

Christmas not always as busy as new year in my experience (of several Christmases in Austria).
Agree with Dave that heading is often a good ploy - the Vorarlberg region of Austria is as safe a bet as any for that time of year.

Last year we got a very good deal on a catered chalet at St Anton booking 10 days before departure (flying from EDI 26 Dec). Snow was fine tho off piste poor.
paraffin 14 Sep 2016
Depends as always how the season develops early on.
I along with a few others follow www.ski.tour.fr
Once you learn how to navigate the site with links to maps etc. it is pretty accurate for how things are developing in the Western Alps.
Unwrapped my Christmas presents last year on a tour from Col de Crachet.
If you are after "rock up and pay for lift served entertainment" You pays yours money . . .
Post edited at 21:02
 inboard 15 Sep 2016
In reply to paraffin:

sounds an interesting website...but www.ski.tour.fr doesn't work for me - can you confirm it, please?

cheers
paraffin 15 Sep 2016

Apologies www.skitour.fr
Paraffin not logged in

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...