40L pack for alpine climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tjoliver 10 Sep 2016
Hi all,

I'm looking to get myself a new pack for alpine climbing in the 40L-ish area. I currently have a Blue Ice Warthog 26L and Crux AK 47. I love the Warthog and use it for the vast majority of alpine climbs, but it's not really big enough for proper alpine climbing in winter where bivi gear is necessary. Put a proper winter sleeping bag in it and all the space is gone! On the other hand, the AK 47 is just a bit unnecessarily big and bulky. So I'm on the search for something inbetween the two. Something that's light (for it's size), durable and only has the basic features that are necessary with nothing more. Any recommendations?

Cheers!
 Glyno 10 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

Lowe Alpine Peak Attack 42?
light, tough, basic, cheap(-ish).

http://www.rockrun.com/lowe-alpine-peak-attack-42-zinc-amber
 random_watcher 10 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

what about a 40l Warthog?
OP tjoliver 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Glyno:

Cheers. Will check it out.
OP tjoliver 10 Sep 2016
In reply to random_watcher:

It's on the list, but the €150 price tag is a bit off-putting!
In reply to tjoliver:
Bergfreunde has Warthog 38l for £41.98

Stuart
Post edited at 13:52
 Mark Haward 10 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

I have one of the old Podsacs ( Thin Ice ). Awesome sack - I saw one on the net recently being sold cheap as old stock - sorry, don't have link. The new Pod Alpine may suit
 annak 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Glyno:
I've had the Lowe Alpine Crag Attack 42l for a good five years and I love it - cheap, light, unfussy and super hard-wearing - I use it year round.
Post edited at 18:34
 barbeg 10 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

Force 10 Alpine 35

ANdy
 droites 10 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:
Google it. I just got me for £69 posted. Hang n and I'll get the link.
In reply to tjoliver: Only one really obvious answer to your requirements, an Arc'teryx Alpha FL 45.
It is the current Outdoor Gear Lab Editor's Choice, see http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Mountaineering-Backpack-Reviews/Arcteryx-Alpha-... and would absolutely be my first choice if I needed something between my Warthog 26 and POD Alpine 50.
 BnB 11 Sep 2016
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

> Only one really obvious answer to your requirements, an Arc'teryx Alpha FL 45.

> It is the current Outdoor Gear Lab Editor's Choice, see http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Mountaineering-Backpack-Reviews/Arcteryx-Alpha-... and would absolutely be my first choice if I needed something between my Warthog 26 and POD Alpine 50.

Except that when I cross-shopped the Arcteryx against the Patagonia Ascensionist 35 (40l in expanded mode) the Patagonia came out a clear winner. Now my go-to pack for Scottish winter on days when my Warthog 26 is too small.
In reply to BnB: Probably a closer call for Scottish Winter use, I really like the Patagonia lid design and it is not quite as completely stripped down.
I was playing with the Ascensionist, the Alpha FL 30 and another 8+ packs earlier in the week (a mate is doing a magazine review) and they were very clearly the two that stood out to both of us. I probably preferred the Arc'teryx design. I don't know which one my friend will rate as best in his review.

Davie.G 11 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

I have the arcteryx alpha 30l and use it winter and summer, slim very light and tuff as nails. It has seemed linings and keeps all my kit dry. You can pick it up cheap from Cotswolds. I'm after the 45l as the 30l is good for 1 day out the 45l can do a few days with extra kit. Wouldn't consider another pack. I highly recomend this sack.
 BnB 11 Sep 2016
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

A key difference between the Arcteryx and its obvious competitors is the fabric, which, while more durable, is less comfortable against the body in terms of breathability/heat generation/sweatiness. This may not be a big issue to many, but to me it's a major factor in gear choice as my skin reacts badly to heat. For others durability may be a higher priority. To me, the durability just means being cursed with an uncomfortable pack for longer!! The Patagonia Ascensionist is far superior in this respect, as well as taking loads more comfortably and with greater stability. The lid design is a dream at belays for whipping out the jacket/water as the mechanism is so quick and the opening so wide. Great design.
 Tyler 11 Sep 2016
In reply to BnB:

Do you find the inner closure/cowl thing with a draw cord (not sure of name!) a pain, I've bit really used mine in anger and I'm already getting frustrated by this extra material that doesn't seem to do much. I'm loath to cut it out as I trust Patagonia to have put it in for good reason
 BnB 11 Sep 2016
In reply to Tyler:

I agree it's not the most successful feature. It keeps the rain (mostly) out if you've overloaded the pack, which is the main intention. However, the rest of the time it flaps around to no purpose.
OP tjoliver 11 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

Thanks for the all the recommendations everyone.

I'm certainly leaning towards the Arcteyx Alpha FL 45. Looks like just the pack I'm looking for. Ridiculously light for its size, yet seemingly very durable with only the bare basic feature I need. Everything else just looks pretty bulky and overdone by comparison! Still, it's a bit pricey, so may go for the Blue Ice Warthog 40L or Lowe Alpine Peak Attack. Really like the look of the Patagonia pack except for one problem. It doesn't seem remotely durable. If money were no option it'd be high on the list but I imagine after a few big granite routes it'd be looking pretty rough.
 rogerwebb 11 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

I have the Patagonia, climbing partner has the arctyrex, arctyrex is far more durable but Patagonia is a more comfortable carry.
Choosing again I would go for arctyrex though.
Removed User 12 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

Macpac Pursuit 40 Alpine series sounds like what you're after.
 KA 12 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack 35:45. Bombproof.
 BnB 12 Sep 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

> I have the Patagonia, climbing partner has the arctyrex, arctyrex is far more durable but Patagonia is a more comfortable carry.

> Choosing again I would go for arctyrex though.

On grounds of durability alone? Or for any other reason?
cb294 12 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

My daughter wants to take my old Mammut pack off me (as it looks so "cool and retro") so I am looking for a replacement. My current favourite is the Mammut Trion 42 (various models available, I am looking at the "guide" version). My old pack has served me well for more than 20 years, showing little sign of wear, and the new ones look every bit as robust. One alternative I am considering is the Ortlieb Elevation Pro. It is supposedly fully waterproof, and if it is even remotely as durable as their bike packs it might be worth a try. Need to go home to find a shop that has it in stock for testing, so no quick decisions expected.

CB
 nniff 12 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

If you want light and no frills, an Aiguille Alpine Zephyr would do nicely at <1kg (less if you take the top pocket off)
 rogerwebb 12 Sep 2016
In reply to BnB:

Durability and more waterproof.

But for a single trip the Patagonia would edge it on comfort.
 sollyf 13 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

I've got the brilliant Blue Ice Warthog 40L for general cragging.

For stripped down fast and light alpine I'm deciding between Arcteryx Alpha 45 FL http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&category=Packs&mod...

or
Montane Ultra Alpine 38+5 L
https://www.montane.co.uk/womens-c15/equipment-c32/packs-c39/ultra-alpine-3...

I don't know any other packs that compare though sadly, Montane has side body / side straps but not front mesh + axe fastenings and the opposite is true for the Arcteryx

...need to go in store, load them up and see which offers greatest comfort etc as they're comparable in weight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...