Confused about boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BarrySW19 09 Sep 2016

I'd like to start doing a bit of proper walking in places like Snowdonia, but I'm a bit confused about what sort of boots I should get for this. I guess I'm looking for something a bit more technical and rugged than boots for long walks on muddy paths (I guess something which could cope with up to grade 1 scrambling), but something a bit more comfy and suitable for long distances than full-on winter mountaineering boots.

Any advice on what to look for - maybe a few makes/models as a guide? I was thinking of something like the Meindl Softline if they're any good.
Post edited at 11:45
 Al_Mac 09 Sep 2016
In reply to BarrySW19:

I've not got them myself but my father recently bought some Scarpa Marmolada's and is really impressed with them; comfortable, stiff and light. I think they're aimed at Via Ferrata etc so ideal for rocky ridges etc. I was pretty close to buying myself a pair until I went for something that could take a crampon for alpine stuff, but if you don't need a crampon then they should be ideal for anything the UK has to throw at them.
Ysgo 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Cloverleaf:

Marmolada is B1 so compatible with a C1 crampon (http://www.scarpa.co.uk/trek/marmolada-trek/). I've got some and they're brill! The B1 bit just means they're fairly stiff so great for scrambling as mentioned. For a more durable, but heavier alternative there's also the R-Evo Pro which has a suede leather type outer rather than just fabric. There's also things like the Alt-Berg Tethera (comes in 5 width fittings), or the Meindl Vakuum.

Best bet is to go into a decent walking shop and try some on though as you may not fit them.
OP BarrySW19 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Ysgo:

Unfortunately, Scarpa is probably out because they only go down to size 41 which is too big for me, though maybe the women's version would be an option.
Ysgo 09 Sep 2016
In reply to BarrySW19:

Check the Zodiaks in that case. Down to a 40. To be honest, below a EU41 or UK7 it's unusual to find many mens boots. Lots of non-girly ladies ones out there though.
OP BarrySW19 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Ysgo:

If I can carry off the Anasazi Pink climbing shoes I'm sure I can live with a bit of pink on my boots.
 LG-Mark 09 Sep 2016
In reply to BarrySW19:

Whatever you do, think "light". There is no need for clumping around in heavy boots anymore.

Personally I wear trail shoes most of the year (TNF Hedgehogs) for everything including backpacking, scrambling and easy climbing. Then during winter i wear my light B2 winter boots (Salewa Condors).

The Marmolada or others of that ilk would be a good choice.
 Trangia 09 Sep 2016
In reply to BarrySW19:

After having failures in Berghaus and Brasher Boots I bought a pair of Mendl Bhutans last year and I can't speak too highly of them. They are comfortable, hard wearing and semi rigid, ideal for mountain walking/low grade scrambling. They are also waterproof.

Best boots I've owned for many years

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/meindl-mens-bhutan-mfs-boot-b1122581

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...