Wild camping - Loch Lommond

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CarbonCopy 07 Sep 2016
Hi All

Driving from the midlands to Fort William this weekend and looking for somewhere around the Loch Lommond area to pull in for the night. Anyone know of any good places?

Cheers
 digby 07 Sep 2016
In reply to CarbonCopy:

http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/wild-camping/

Scroll down for comprehensive information on NOT being able to pull in for the night on the east side.
 deepsoup 07 Sep 2016
In reply to digby:
Ah, that's interesting. Ever since that ban came in I've been assuming it applied the whole way around Loch Lomond, never realised it only applies to the East side.

To the OP:
I can't be very specific I'm afraid. There's a spot I used to use semi-regularly just a wee bit North of Luss, but it's been a while and I can't pick it out on a map now. As above, I was under the mistaken impression that's out of bounds these days, but I guess not.

Are you looking to pitch a tent, or just park up and get a few hours kip in the car/van?
 digby 07 Sep 2016
In reply to CarbonCopy:

There's some big recessed laybys on the west side, eg

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.1111817,-4.6420508,3a,88.7y,326.03h,79.38...

Some nice company!
Don't think they are marked 'no overnight parking' but the main road is quite noisy.
 digby 07 Sep 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> There's a spot I used to use semi-regularly just a wee bit North of Luss, but it's been a while and I can't pick it out on a map now. As above, I was under the mistaken impression that's out of bounds these days, but I guess not.

This one? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.1307883,-4.6555586,3a,75y,140.89h,82t/dat...
 DaveHK 07 Sep 2016
In reply to digby:

> Scroll down for comprehensive information on NOT being able to pull in for the night on the east side.

If the OP is going to the Fort they're unlikely to go up the east side of the Loch.
 deepsoup 07 Sep 2016
In reply to digby:
Yes, could well be that one.

I was just up in the highlands for the first time in several years, but ended up diverting across towards Stirling on the way up to collect a hut key. On the way south again I was dragging my feet because I didn't really want to leave, took a few random scenic diversions, and only made it just beyond Fort William before I was too droopy to drive any more.

In reply to Dave Kerr:
> If the OP is going to the Fort they're unlikely to go up the east side of the Loch.

True, but good info nonetheless. I'm glad he posted it, because it corrected an incorrect assumption I've been making for years!
 Dave the Rave 07 Sep 2016
In reply to CarbonCopy:

You may be better off driving another 20 mins from the top of the loch and camping by the Bridge of Orchy hotel. Turn left straight after the pub and there are numerous pitches by the river.
Jim C 07 Sep 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Ah, that's interesting. Ever since that ban came in I've been assuming it applied the whole way around Loch Lomond, never realised it only applies to the East side.

If those who do camp on the West (and park caravans and Campervans in laybys ) don't soon do so, with respect for the area, they too will bring a camping ban on the West side . Hacking at live trees (instead of bringing their own fuel or a stove ) is rife, as is littering and blocking the cycleways.

I live around there and the problems ( from what I have seen as I cycle there regularly) are getting worse rather than better, so I do expect the NP authorities to place restrictions on the West too .

Fraser 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I saw a family hauling a huge tree along the road the other week, presumably for fuel. The litter is a big issue too as you say.
Jim C 07 Sep 2016
In reply to digby:

The laybys are regularly abused by caravaners who park up for days and even weeks , who block the cycleways with their furnature kids and dogs and leave huge amounts of litter.
The Campervaners stay less time , but the front of their vans are often allowed to overshoot the walk/ cycleways some of them reducing it by up to 50%, and if even you manage to dodge that, you have to look out for litter sacks scooters etc.

That said the NP have failed to properly signpost that the cycleway should be respected.
 digby 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I don't doubt the abuse. It makes me feel sick. It's worse around Lomond, hence the bans, but it's everywhere.
 GrantM 07 Sep 2016
In reply to CarbonCopy:

The camping restrictions will extend to the west side of Loch Lomond from next year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-35409488
 deepsoup 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim C:
How very depressing.
Especially with litter, it's not as if it's difficult to put the rubbish in a bag and take it away when you're camping right next to the f*cking car.
Post edited at 14:16
OP CarbonCopy 07 Sep 2016
In reply to CarbonCopy

Thanks all. As someone has pointed out I won't be going near the east side, it is just really somewhere to pull in for a few hrs kip. Ideally somewhere to pitch a tent though. Doesn't have to be on the loch, it just happens to be around where we will be when we need to stop!
 kwoods 07 Sep 2016
In reply to CarbonCopy:

Not great for tent pitching though it obviously can be done since the place sees some heavy (ab)use. As mentioned, plenty laybys to kip in the car, however.
OP CarbonCopy 12 Sep 2016
In reply to digby:

Thanks for this. Was perfect place. Slept in van in the end.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...