B1 boot advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Holmanator 28 Aug 2016
Looking to do some winter walking, probably limited to Scotland/Snowdonia/Lakes, with no climbing involved, which means B1 boots.

As far as B1 boots go, any pointers. I've had a look at some Scarpa R-Evo Pros, but aside from that I'm completely clueless on the subject to be honest.

Any advice appreciated be it general B1s or the R-Evos.

Thanks!
 joe.wahab 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Holmanator:

All hail: http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/getting_the_right_mountain_boots

Probably more aimed at winter climbing but very good nonetheless.

also INB4 others - the boot that fits your foot the best! No but seriously. I wouldn't limit yourself to B1s - I've found I love walking in stiff soled boots!
Holmanator 28 Aug 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

It is always amusing running into people I know on random forums!

Thanks for the article, that was a really good read, still pretty applicable to my end use. As far as fit goes, I understand it's imperative, especially since I have seriously soft feet. Plus it's what I tell customers at work after all.

I've scouted out the range offered in the shops in and around me and it wasn't vast so I thought I'd come here for pointers too. If I did end up with stiffer boots that does open up more options in the future at least if the fit is perfect.
 Jasonic 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Holmanator:

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/trek/sl-activ/

Or similar- many friends also use footbeds- worth buying good socks also!
 StuDoig 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Holmanator:

Aye Aye. Don't limit yourself to only looking at B1s - some B2s are really comfortable and the extra stiffness can be v. useful for kicking steps in harder snow. I'd try different options and see what feels comfortable rather than going by arbitrary stiffness ratings. I wear Scarpa Mantas for winter walking and really can't complain - they've been great boots. Though I did prefer the old leather version to the new ones. If Scarpa boots suit your feet they'd be worth a shot.

A less stiff alternative that I have are Altberg boots - great if you've wide feet as a huge range of widths, UK made and all leather if your not a fan of fabric boots.

Cheers,

Stu
 Andypeak 29 Aug 2016
In reply to StuDoig:

Meindl himalayas are a good leather option too. Far stiffer than any other b1 I've tried but not stiff enough for b2. I love mine.
 stratandrew 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Holmanator:

I would agree with stu that Altberg are superb. Ive had my leather B1 Altberg Mallerstang for two years. I've worn them for all my peaks lakes and Wales hillwalking, Monroe bagging in summer and winter. Ive used them with G10 crampons on the attach eagach, bristly ridge and others similar. The real advantage of the alt berg range is the choice of width fittings though, plus the fact that their top fitters (Whalley warm and dry) are REALLY good. I would also concur though that stiffer boots can be an advantage, for all my climbing I use either Nepals or Scarpa Rebel. As others have said, fit is everything though. Wrong size or poorly fitted boots can cause permanent damage to both feet and knees surprisingly quickly.
Holmanator 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Jasonic, Studoig, andy.smythe, strata.andrew:

My mate has a pair of SL Activs and he rates them pretty highly so I'll be mindful of that.

I've also heard of the classic Mantas but not Altberg before so thanks for that name.

I run the Meindl Kansas as my main pair of boots at the moment so more Meindl is fine.

Thanks for all your advice, looks like I just need to find somewhere I can try a good range of all these on, that'll be the tricky part. Some good pointers here though so that's ace.
In reply to Holmanator:

Personally I cannot recommend Altberg enough. Bizarrely, I was on the phone to them ten minutes ago to order my second pair from them.
Holmanator 30 Aug 2016
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

That's about as good as recommending gets!
In reply to Holmanator:

I happen to be selling a pair on here too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...