Spinning bar hang challenge at the fair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liamhutch89 27 Aug 2016

Currently at the fair in Leeds city centre there is a challenge to dead hang a bar for 2 minutes. You pay £5 for the chance to win £50 so I assumed this was free money as a mid grades climber, except after paying up and jumping on i found the bar was greasy and freely rotating and managed only 1 min 20 before the fingers uncurled!

Anyone had a go and beaten this challenge? It is MUCH harder than it sounds! Apparently 1 min 20 was the best time of the day, but im sure that if you are a strong climber then there's some easy cash to be had.
Post edited at 16:20
 wilkie14c 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:
I bet Abdul hamza could boss that and if the fair ground pikies take him for a 'quiet word' he can throw the anti Islam AND disability cards into the ring
Post edited at 19:23
 Dax H 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

> I assumed this was free money as a mid grades climber, except after paying up and jumping on i found the bar was greasy and freely rotating and managed only 1 min 20 before the fingers uncurled!

It is free money (well almost) for the traveling guy that runs the stall.
The best you will ever do in a fairground at anything is a soft toy that cost no more than half the fee for the game.

I saw a mobile endless climbing wall at one.
Stood maybe 2.5 mts tall and about 4mts wide and made of metal straps like vertical tank tracks with holds bolted on and all you had to do was climb the endless conveyer for 5 mins to win £1,000,000.
Obviously impossible but me and 3 mates jumped on.
It got gradually faster and then started to overhang too.
I fell off at about 2 mins when the overhang was about 30 degrees and I missed a foot hold.

I got talking to the guy who ran it and asked if he had an insurance policy just in case anyone managed it and he said no, it was impossible.
Apparently even the top climbers in the world have ever gone past 3 mins and most people who climbcome off between 1min 50 and 2 mins 10.

We were the last on it that day so he ran it up to level 10 to show me how impossible it was.
It went from vertical to fully horizontal and the speed of the belt was fast running but not quite sprinting speed.

Good fun with your mates though.

deacondeacon 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:
I had a go on one of these and got exactly the same time as you.
It was at a local fete and I asked the guy how many times he'd had to pay out that day.
He said he had never had to pay out, ever.
Except the first weekend he'd done it, a guy was doing it one handed and swapping hands every twenty seconds. After that he'd made a rule that it must be two hands on at all times.

It seemed so easy though. Even after a minute I thought I was going to piss it, then rapidly the pump kicked in and I was off.
OP Liamhutch89 28 Aug 2016
I wonder if a rolling bar would be a good training aid at home for endurance training... it would be nice to train those muscles up to the 2 minute mark and take their money
Tomtom 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

> I wonder if a rolling bar would be a good training aid at home for endurance training... it would be nice to train those muscles up to the 2 minute mark and take their money

Look at the lapis rollybar
http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/lapis-rollybar-p-3584.html
Expensive but could probs build your own for cheaper
 summo 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

> I wonder if a rolling bar would be a good training aid at home for endurance training... it would be nice to train those muscles up to the 2 minute mark and take their money

our local wall as one in a training area, although it's ever so slightly oval and not greased.
 DancingOnRock 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

I assume you couldn't have your palms in opposing directions.
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Has anyone ever won at the balance the coin on the lemon in water game? So addictive
 flopsicle 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

The one at Goose Fair was cheaper and I came very close. As no spring chicken and very female my near miss had the knuckle scrapers diving in with money waving. We stayed a little while to watch their bemusement, listen to the sweet 'WTF's and all. The guy running it gave my daughter a huge minion and said, 'you just earned me that'.
 AC93 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Yeah I built one out of some soil pipe and sandpaper. Tied it up to my doorframe pull up bar using some cord. Got instant forearm cramp and never used it again.
Removed User 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

What sort of diameter is the bar?
 Greasy Prusiks 29 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

That made me laugh.

I can picture the looks on the faces of the knuckle draggers in question.
 malk 29 Aug 2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...