Nepal Visa

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 23 Aug 2016
As someone who's only ever visited Europe and the States I've never had to concern myself with visas (ESTA was a doddle...), so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Nepalese website says we have to send visa application form, photographs, fee and our passports off to the Embassy to apply for the visa's but I'm reluctant to send passports away (just generally paranoid about them getting lost in transit), or that we can get them on arrival at Tribhuvan airport.

Are the any disadvantages to getting them on arrival (apart from probably having to queue, and possibly having to pay more)

And we land at 19:50 local time...is that likely to be a problem?

Mowglee 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

No major problems or advantages to either option. How long till you leave? I sent ours off Special Delivery (about £6) the Embassy turned them around pretty quickly, and it's one less thing to bother with when you land. If you've got > a few weeks till departing it's probably worth getting them in advance. There was a bit of a queue at the visa desk when we landed, but nothing disastrous.

jonfun21 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:
Seconded, we got them on arrival (part of a round the world trip so couldn't send off passports in advance) and was no problems & 20 mins queue.

Key to queue length is where is your flight coming from (i.e. domestic/foreign mix) and what other flights are arriving at the same time and their mix.

Oh and you will need USD to pay for it at the airport - don't accept cards/cheques & also two passport photos

http://www.nepembassy.org.uk/visa.php
Post edited at 13:36
 GHawksworth 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

I went to the embassy in london the day before I left (NOT RECOMMENDED!). It takes 24 hours for them to process it normally.

I would recommend Special Delivery as Mowglee did or visiting the embassy a few weeks before hand as I remember seeing the queue for visas in the airport and it was pretty damn long and slow!! this was at about 19:30-20:00 local time too. Their airport (Kathmandu international) looks very unorganised and chaotic and it's very easy to get overwhelmed, especially after a long flight. So not having to worry about doing your visa there and then will remove a LOT of unnecessary stress. Don't forget you can't get currency outside of the country so thats another task for the airport if you're getting a taxi.

Also, things hardly ever get lost in the post these days so it should be very safe.
 GHawksworth 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

also, HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! Nepal is magical!!
OP ThunderCat 23 Aug 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

Cheers!

Leave on October 4th...after reading this, I think I may go the post option....

OP ThunderCat 23 Aug 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

> Don't forget you can't get currency outside of the country so thats another task for the airport if you're getting a taxi.

Is it worth taking a small amount of USD / EUR with us to get us to hotel? Recommend changing money at the airport, or in Kahtmandu itself? (wow...so untravelled it's embarrassing...)

Mowglee 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Have a selection of credit/debit cards for the various ATMs at the airport. $50 perhaps as a backup, but ATMs will give you a better rate. You can also change £ pretty easily too. IIRC, Halifax Clarity is/was the best card for travelling and getting cash out with, as they don't apply fees. Let your bank know you're travelling before you leave so they don't block your card the first time you try to use it.

GHawksworth 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

As always, airport rates won't be as good. Taxis SHOULD be ok with $ from the airport but make sure you agree a price and shake on it with the driver before getting in. There are ATM lounges and currency exchanges everywhere so you'll never be short on cash I had issues with my sta travel card so I'd look at another company like post office or Halifax if I were to go again.
 elliot.baker 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Mowglee:

As far as I am awareally Halifax Clarity is the absolute best way of getting any foreign currency full stop, you just have to be in the country first. The rates are always better than UK or [insert country here] high street places and better than the Web based forex companies that post you money. You just need to get on online banking to pay the cash off as soon as it appears on statement and you basically pay nothing.
 shantaram 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

I've visited Nepal around 10 times and have always got my visa on arrival. It's never been a problem as long as you have the right amount of US$ and passport photos with you. The queue and waiting time is usually not much different to the queue for those with visas.
 IceKing 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:
You don't really need to take dollars anymore, you can pay for your visa at the airport with £, and you can change £ everywhere now, personally I draw cash out at home rather than use my card and am careful with it, cheaper in the long run as long as you don't lose it. If you have pre-arranged a guest house or hotel get them to pick you up from the airport, just tell them your flight number. Otherwise expect to pay 700-1000 nrps, about $7-10 to Thamel from the airport, and expect to be asked to pay $25! If you haven't booked anywhere you can ask the taxi driver you end up with and he will almost certainly take you to a reasonable place and then once there they'll be able to sort you out with whatever else you need to go trekking etc. Nepal is a pretty amenable place just don't take a guide from the street in Thamel.

Make up several passport size photos before you go, easy enough to do on a PC, as you'll need a few: 2 each for the visa, trekking permits, TIMS etc.

Also you'll get given a visa form on the plane in so just try and nip round the people walking to the arrivals hall to get a bit up the queue.

No disadvantages to getting them at the airport. Even with the queue your baggage will still appear long after you are out of that section.

No problems with that time either but Kathmandu does go to bed surprisingly early, not much after 10pm. If there's power shedding going on it will by dark in the streets with generators in the tourist places. Take a headtorch with you. If you are concerned arrange for a pick up as I said and they will turn up when the flight gets in.
Post edited at 22:02
 scruff 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Used both methods for getting a visa, both work fine. If your getting a visa at the airport applying online (when it works...)
http://www.nepalimmigration.gov.np/article/52/tourist-visa.html
can save a bit of hassle.

Airport will be fully open at that time - personally prefer arriving in Kathmandu on those later flights (especially when it's dark), more atmospheric.

Always got better rates (when worked back into £) from taxi drivers using NPR rather then $. At least one cash machine (takes VISA) is outside the terminal building on your right as you leave (unless it has moved since March). Depending upon you will/ability to barter getting the place you're staying to arrange collection (some places even offer this for free) from the airport can provide a more relaxing end to the journey.

Depending upon what you are up to it's worth getting a Nepali sim card, mobiles rates within the country (and also to abroad) are pretty good.

Mostly though enjoy - wish i was going again
 Mark123 24 Aug 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

I've always got my visa at the airport and never had any problems over 10 visits, other than sometimes a large queue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...